Wesley

Upgrade W2K - WXP beta2

Hi, I am a fresh Pc hobbyist who has encountered a problem with regard to upgrading to Windows Whistler (XP Beta2).
    After trying to install this, I had to restart the computer and saw surprisingly a black screen (while booting) with the following message:
    "Verifying DMI Pool Data...
    NTLDR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart";
    which I do, but with no result... Do I need to insert my boot floppy disk.. (which I don't have at my disposal...) Or what other suggestions can you make???

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade W2K - WXP beta2

that's the boot loader. are you dual booting with another os?

hows this for crystal ball reading - you are dual booting and using a boot manager to hide the other os partition. no can do - unless you installed winxp from disk with the other partition hidden. the missing file is on that os's partition.

unless you can boot from cd and reinstall, you'll need a boot floppy - or grab the file off the other partition or cd and put in the winxp boot partition.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Find a Windows 98 or DOS boot disk, and boot with it. When you land at the C:> prompt, type SYS C:, which will make your boot sector startable - and you should be off to the races.

If you don't have access to a boot floppy, you can <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.abp1.com/3support/hardware/bootdisk.html>download a utility</A> to make one off the 'net. There are several places besides this one, but the process is the same. Download a file, run it, and it will create an image on a floppy disk with which you can start the PC.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I would not use a boot manager with XP.

Just as a for instance:

Take an 8GB drive

Create a 2000MB FAT32 partition as Primary

Create an extended partition for the remainder.

Install Windows 98 or ME on the C Drive

Install XP on the D Drive

When the system starts chose which O/S you want to boot.

I have also dual booted XP and 95 on the same drive at the cost of killing Net Meeting, but everything works okay even if I had to install it twice.

RC