3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Test for toolbar button press (VBA Word 2003)

Hi,

I currently have a piece of independent software installed on Word that converts data to a barcode at a press of a button, that the software installed on the toolbar. The vba for this software is locked and I cant amend it.

My query is, is it possible to for a macro, on closing, to test to see if a user has pressed this particular button and if not then to stop the document from closing, displaying a message to the user advising that they havent pressed the button??

The problem is that I have users that occasionally forget to press this button to convert data to a barcode, resulting in a document going out, without the required barcode.

Cheers.
    Lee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Test for toolbar button press (VBA Word 2003)

You could test whether barcode is present in the document - I presume that it uses a special font, so you could search for the font and put up a warning if the font is not found in the document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for that. Yes the barcode is set in a Arial font.

If possible could you give me a few pointers on how I would write a search macro please?

Regards.
    Lee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure that it's Arial? That is a standard Windows font and as far as I know, it is not very suitable for barcodes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Yes its definately Arial, its one of a few font options on the barcode configuration.

I cant lay my hand to it now but we were having problems printing a barcode and someone on google mention using arial as the font, as well as the * at the start and end of the data to be changed to barcode.

Regards.
    Lee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you attach a small sample document in which the button has been pressed? You can remove most of the text, as long as a bit of 'normal' text and a bit of barcode is left. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Bar code programs usually use a symbol font. If you select text in a symbol font and apply Arial, usually the symbol font doesn't change; it is protected by Word.

I suppose it is possible to reconstruct a bar code using line-drawing characters from another Windows font, but it seems as though it could easily disintegrate through re-styling without the kind of protection applied to symbol fonts.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is the barcode that is produced a graphic, or is it text that can be made larger and smaller by the font attributes setting?

If it is a graphic then the code to find it will rely on finding something unique about that graphic.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia