2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shapes, ShapeRanges (Word 2003)

Hi All,

can anyone shed any light on the difference between a ShapeRange and the Shapes Collection when referring to the shapes in a Footer in VB? I have for example:

oSec.Footers(2).Shapes.Count = 4
    oSec.Footers(2).Range.ShapeRange.Count = 2

and i don't understand the difference - unless 2 of the Shapes in the Shapes collection are InlineShapes, which aren't included in the ShapeRange collection?

The reason I am having trouble with all of this is because I insert a shape into a footer (the "different first page footer" index 2 in the Footers collection for the first section of the document) and then i try to remove it again. When I come to remove it, apparently it isn't there. I was looping through the ShapeRange collection.

I add the picture using:

Dim newLogo as Shape
    Set newLogo = oSec.Footers(2).shapes.AddPicture(FileName:=Me.lbl SubsLogoPath)

which is NOT an Inline shape.

If I then try to locate it for later deleting, I can do it OK if I loop through the Shapes collection searching for its known name, but it fails if I loop through the footer's "ShapeRange" collection... even though it should be in both.

The most confusing thing is why there are apparently 4 shapes in the Shapes collection for the footer, when on my screen there are clearly only 2...

Can anyone confirm my understanding of the difference?

cheers

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shapes, ShapeRanges (Word 2003)

I have found a couple of sentences in the Help, but they seem rather conflicting to me :-(

"The Shapes property, when applied to a HeaderFooter object, returns all the Shape objects found in all the headers and footers in the document."

&

"This example displays a count of all the shapes in the primary header and footer of the first section of the active document.

MsgBox ActiveDocument.Sections(1). Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Shapes.Count"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Very confusingly, the Shapes collection of *any* header consists of *all* shapes in *all* headers and footers in the document. So if your document has two sections whose headers are not linked to each other, and if the header of the first section contains 2 shapes and the header of the second section 1 shape, ActiveDocument.Sections(n).Headers(wdHeaderFooterP rimary).Shapes.Count will return 3, whether n = 1 or n = 2.

But the ShapeRange collection of the Range of a header contains only the shapes that actually belong to that header. So in the above example, ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterP rimary).Shapes.Count will return 2 and ActiveDocument.Sections(2).Headers(wdHeaderFooterP rimary).Shapes.Count will return 1.

The same holds for footers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.. i had just reached that conclusion from using the de######.

Anyway, I just found my error and it was in a totally unrelated part of the code and I could've spent years trying to find it. Luckily I just spotted an uninitialised function return value.. oops