Thread: Rules Wizard

New Lounger
    Thanks

Rules Wizard

I receive mail under multiple account names and would like to color code the incoming messages to reflect which account they were sent to.

I have been unable to create a rule that will do this. I have been able to set an "importance" flag by account but not change the color of the incoming message header.

Does anyone a.) know how to set message colors by account or b.) know of a third party add-in?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rules Wizard

which version of outlook?

you can use automatic formatting but the rules wiz is not real strong in deciding what acct itcomes in on. so it's a good thing automatic formatting also works on views.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I use Outlook 2000 SR-1

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

shoot - rules doesn't do formatting - organize does, but not very good on the to account since it looks only at display name - use views instead.
    view > current view > modify view. automatic formatting.

might want to have rules add a catagory based on words in header - then apply color based on catagory, if you are having problems getting color applied

ril

Excellent question!

(Notice that I asked the same exact question as one of the first questions in this new forum![img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img])

No one offered me a solution [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img], so I came up with one, pretty much like Mary described (where, o' where was Ms. Mary when I needed her[img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img]?).

If someone has a better solution - and I really hope there is - please post it! But for now, this is what I did:

First I set up an automatic formatting 'rules' (they aren't real rules) dependent on the email address. This works fine, except Outlook2000, in it's great wisdom, does not make the actual email address available - it only makes the parsed email address available. So if you have an email sent to "viking <viking@isp.net>" and another sent to "viking <notaviking@isp.net>", Outlook2000 can't differentiate between the two. (If anyone can show me I'm wrong, PLEASE do! I struggled over this![img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img])

So I then deleted those beautiful auto-formatting 'rules', and instead created new "real" rules that look within the original 'to' field, and assign a category. I then color code according to category. Adding the categories made my PST file significantly larger, but what can you do?

I also applied all the new rules retroactively (to all exisitng messages), so they would get assigned the proper categories. (You can do this from the Rules dialog.)

So that's the long and short of it... basically what Mary said, but more drawn out and with more grammatical errors.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

yes, outlook does addresses dumb, looking at the display name not the true address. outlook2000 does have the ability to look in the header, so as long as you aren't bcc'd or use a catchall mailbox, that'll work.

catagories shouldn't make the pst that much bigger - unless you have a lot of messages with catagories assigned.

ril

AFAIK, the ability to look in the header is not avail for auto-formatting, hence the 'category game' I described.

If you have 3 email addresses, and assign categories to 2 of them, then about 2/3 of your stored messages will now require the additional space that categories require.

Worth it, in my opinion, but a real drag to play these games (if this was v1.0, I wouldn't care so much... but this app has been in development for how many years now?![img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img]).