5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query is too complex (2003)

I am using a form to make selections in a query. (See attached). I have 7 fields that I want populated or not. I am using the following for the seven fields:
    [forms]![Overall4]![txtBrandedVis] or [forms]![Overall4]![txtBrandedVis] is Null. When I go to fun the report it is giving me an error " Query is too complex". Is there any way to do this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query is too complex (2003)

I think we'd need to see the database, or a stripped down copy of it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is a hugh database so I don't think I can get it down small enough. I can see by the query that it is too complex. I guess there is a limit on how many fields you can filter on or not.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions for reducing the size of a database for posting.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I took out the form and just used
    [Enter Health Y,N or Null] or [Enter Health Y,N or Null] is Null
    That doesn't give me query is too complex. Now I have another problem. When I use these fields in a report, I want the fields that are null to show blank and just give me the N or Y in the fields where they are populated with N or Y. I have attached a screen print of the report. At the top are the fields I am referring to. I selected "Y" for Health and "N" for UCCI. The other fields should be blank. Is there a way to do this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If they are Yes/No fields - such fields are either True or False, never blank.

What happens if you use text boxes with a control source such as

=[Enter Health Y,N or Null]

Thanks

Linda,

The error message you are receiving can be caused by filtering or processing different data types such as text vs numerical in the same field in a query. Any chance this is happening? Just curious, why are you using the same field twice to compare to null in your example?

Also, by letting the users select Y, N or leaving it blank, you are just making it harder on yourself to determine what has been selected. Why even allow the user to leave the box blank - it is just one more item to think about or that could go wrong. It would be simpler to set up the form with checkboxes for selections. You can default them to 0 (not selected) when opening the form. You then look for the checkbox value of -1 if it is selected. If all of the values are 0, then nothing was selected and you can prevent the report from running. Personally, I like the checkboxes as you can input the selections quickly with the mouse. HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That works - thanks for your help....