Thread: Table Cells

Lounger
    Thanks

Table Cells

I would like to create a table and have the cell hold its size no matter what amount of text is in it
    I thought I new how to do this in an older version of word but cant seem to find it our do it now
    Thank you
    Kate

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Cells

Good afternoon, Kate and welcome to Woody's Lounge. Since I'm a Mod but know little or nothing about Word I'm going to move your post to the Word Forum where all the experts hang out. You posted in Windows 2003 which is a forum for the operating system, not Word. Hang on, help is coming...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since you posted this originally in the Windows 2003 forum, I will assume you are using Word 2003.

To restrict the table row height you select that row and then choose Table>Table Properties>Row and look for the setting for Row height. Make sure you set the 'Row height is' setting to 'Exactly' rather than 'at least'
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Click anywhere in the table.
    Press Alt+Num 5 (i.e. press the 5 on the numeric keypad while holding down Alt) to select the entire table.
    Select Table | Table Properties...
    In the Table tab, click Options...
    Make sure that the check box labeled "Automatically resize to fit contents" is clear (not ticked).
    Click OK to close the Table Options dialog.
    Activate the Row tab.
    Tick the check box labeled "Specify height".
    Enter the desired height in the box next to the check box.
    Select Exactly from the dropdown list labeled "Row height is" to the right of that.
    Click OK.

Lounger
    Thanks

This is really strange - I did exactly what Hans has described and when I went back to the table I and tried to delete some text and the cell collapsed
    So I went back to try it again again and getting the same result ( what do they say about the definition of crazy - when you keep doing the same thing and expecting different results LOL)
    So I did this I went and changed the the COLUMN to EXACTLY again and just went right back to check it and it does not stay as a checked off a item there is no APPLY on that so iI just hit OK
    but it still is not staying that way

I will try to tell you what I am trying to do
    I have a table of tow columns and one row
    I want to make a little sign that fits into a 4x6 frame and I when I want to update it
    I don't want to have to print it/and add or delete some word fifteen times to get it to fit into the frame
    I thought I could just have a cell that was a specific size and work from there
    Thank you for your help
    Kate

Lounger
    Thanks

DUH!!!!!
    I thought that by selecting the table - its exact measurement would already appear
    Do I need to make the cell an exact measurement or is there a way to make it the size that I have already worked hard to figure out
    Thanks
    Kate

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just discovered an interesting function called “Shrink to Fit” that might be useful to you, if I understand your goal. It is found in the File-Print-Preview screen’s toolbar.

This is the experiment I played with:

- set document margins to 4”x6”,
    - overfill the 2-column table to the point that a new page is created,
    - then press the “Shrink to Fit” button that appears in File-Print-Preview view.

In my experiment this automatically reduced the font size of the whole table so that it all fit perfectly onto one page.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have already sized cells the way you want you only need to set the row height to Exactly. It will then preserve the height you have set.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans
    I kept hitting exactly not even looking at the numbers and that is the problem the numbers did not default to the inches of the already completed cell
    I did figure it out and just put in some numbers in that only shrunk it a tad and it looks okay and will print later and try it against the frame
    I also will try to suggestion of the shrink to fit that someone suggested
    Thanks to all- I really appreciate all the knowledge here!!