New Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Authorities Not Updating (Word 2000 SP3)

Hi - We've used the Word 2000 Table of Authorities feature to mark the long and short versions of Cases. We are able to generate a TOA which looks ok. After subsequent edits to text that did not involve any of the case citations, we needed to update the TOA. We selected the TOA and right clicked on it and selected update fields. When we proof read the TOA we found that it did not correctly update all the citations. It appears as if it does not find some of the short citations. We then tried selecting the TOA and using F9 to update. That doesn't work either. We remarked just the short citations and they still will not update. Has anyone come across this before? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Authorities Not Updating (Word 2000 SP3)

Here's one way it happens to us:

The text editing involved moving blocks of text,
    and those blocks of text contain marked cites,
    and after the move the short cites appeared in the doc BEFORE the long cites appeared.

The long cite must be the first occurrence of a cite in the doc.

This placement rule includes cites in footnotes -- so it's best to mark cites, and later review them, in Print Layout view rather than in normal view.

Good luck with your TOA! (I think luck is part of it, actually.....)
    Judy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi - Thanks for the info. Your suggestion is definately a possibility and I agree luck is needed when working with TOA! Right now with the text in final form, it looks like the long citations are first and the short citations appear later in the document. What I have done to try to fix the entries that are not updating is to delete the long citation and all of the subsequent short citations. Then remark them all and generate a TOA. Still only the long citation is appearing in the TOA. It is strange - there are 41 cases and 4 of them will not update correctly. We ended up manually updating the TOA to meet the deadline. We've had similar problem before - so I'm wondering if we are missing something!

Thanks

Hi Katy,

It's hard to tell without looking at the cites in question. Is it possible to post a page or two (with party names removed) which include both long and short cites for the Lounge to look at?

Kim

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kim - Yes I will attempt to post a sample document that has been redacted. The cites in the TOA that do not update are Randolph, Pisciotta, and Kahle. Thanks for your help & sorry for the delay - I was out with broken ankle - gotta watch out for that ice!
    Katy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Hi Katy,

Ouch. Take care of yourself.

About the cites, I was not able to find anything wrong with them -- you're not missing something. Further, I have Office 2003 installed and when I updated the TOA, it correctly added page 6 to each of the three citations you mentioned were not working. I'm hoping someone using Word 2000 can try updating the TOA to see if they get the same result as either of us.

Sorry I couldn't difinitively resolve this for you.
    Kim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

In addition to Kim's remarks, the TOA also updates correctly in Word 2002 - it picks up the citations on page 6.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

As luck (?) would have it, a Table of Authorities I was working on just a couple days ago had this very problem. Some cites had been added, and everything looked fine, but the table didn't blink an eye when I tried to refresh it.

We'd had several typists working on this doc, and it had been emailed back and forth between offices in different states, probably using different systems. I don't know if that can have a bearing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

So, on a hunch, I just deleted the whole table and inserted it anew -- and voila, everything was in place!

Go figure. (But no figure SKATING for a while, Katy!)

JudyL

"When there are so many cooks working the stew, it's hard to know who put in the vinegar."
    Stanley Renshon, Political Scientist

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help & encouragement. Using Word 2000, I tried deleting the entire TOA & reinserting it but it still wouldn't update. I then opened it in Word 2003 and was able to update the TOA. That will have to be our work around. Thanks again!