Thanks

Updates at shut-down (Home SP2)

I have Windows XP set to notify me when there are updates, not install them automatically. Sometimes it only offers me the update when I come to close Windows down, as shown below. For instance today I wantched it download updates, and as soon as it had reached 100%, the yellow shield icon disappeared from the notification area (system tray). I suspected what was going on and went to close Windows down, and sure enough it told me that there were updates waiting to be installed and I could choose whether to install them or shut down without installing them. I shut down without, started up again, and if I went for shut down again, I was offered the choice again.

The trouble is, if it does that, how am I to know what updates it is proposing to install, so that I can decide whether to say yes to them? (When they work in the "normal" way, I usually look to see what they are going to be before accepting them.)

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updates at shut-down (Home SP2)

The yellow shield in the notification area sometimes disappears for me too, but if I wait patiently, it will usually return and mention that updates are ready to be installed, but it might take a long time - sometimes more than an hour. No idea what causes this delay.
    You can also visit Windows Update to decide which updates you want to install. While you are installing, the shield will return, then disappear again when you're finished.

Thanks

<hr>it might take a long time - sometimes more than an hour.<hr>

It's been all day so far. I'm still getting that shield on the shut-down menu.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you determine whether your firewall or other security software is blocking the update? (perhaps the event log will contain details)

Have you tried updating through Windows Update?

Thanks

No. I think I read somewhere that it does this when the MS update servers are rather busy, or something. But I can't now found where I read that. I'm only using the Windows firewall (and a router) so I don't think it is that, and it often does the updates in the usual way, anyway.

I just wondered if there was a way of finding out what updates it had ready for me if it only offers me them at shutdown.

It's not actually a huge problem. In any case, I usually accept the updates Windows wants to do, but I'd just like to see what I'm getting.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The message I have been getting at shut down is "Windows Update needs to FINISH the install" or something to that fact. This is where a update was installed and a restart is required.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

I've had the same experience. I think the shield has always shown up eventually, but sometimes not for quite a while -- e.g., the next day maybe.

I'm just guessing, but maybe if there are multiple updates involved, it will give you the shutdown option if one or more of them are ready, but it won't finally give you the shield route until all of them are downloaded and ready.

Thanks

Not wishing to confuse the issue, it is a habit of mine.
    I have three computers connected on a LAN, the latest and greatest behaves exactly as in the beginning of this post, you give it away for the day hear the bed calling and go to shut down and then you are met with the message that there are updates waiting to install. The other two systems both with the same settings in updates immediately leave an icon in the notification area. I have Windows firewall only and CA Security Suite on all systems.
    I am hopeful somebody will come up with the answer/setting to make all systems behave the same.

Thanks

Yes, the shield eventually showed up again, about a day and a half later. Turns out there were 9 updates.

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks

This problem occurs when you ignored the updates for several days.
    It should go away when you installed the updates.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's it. If you look back at the original post, you'll see that I didn't ignore the updates at all. They were downloading, and I was all ready to see what they were, but as soon as they were 100% downloaded, the yellow shield disappeared. Instead, it only offered me the updates at shutdown time.

However, it seems that if you are patient enough (over a day, in this instance) the shield eventually comes back and you can install them the usual way.

Ian