5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bulleted style (2003)

Dear Loungers,

I am having difficulty with the style named "bulleted" in Normal.dot (I can't remember if it came on the original installation or if I added it).

The style has a .88 indentation before the text. I want to get rid of this. So I go into the document style, change it, and tick "add to template." Everytime I close and reopen the document, though, the changes do not stick. This includes both when I make the changes through the indentation function in the Bullets and Numbering style modification dialogue as well as when I do it through the Paragraph style modfication dialogue box.

The changes stick when I untick "Automatically update document styles" in the Templates and Add-ins dialgue box, but I need that ticked for other reasons.

I think it is connected to something odd that happens with respect to my Normal.dot template: if I am not mistaken, when I press Save in all my other templates, Word asks if I want to save the changes to the template. But in Normal, it doesn't.

Is the problem that Word is not saving my changes to Normal? Is it becuase I have not totally closed down Word and restarted it before opening up the document based on Normal?

Everytime I am asked fi I want to overwrite the Normal template (e.g., when I close down Word or shut down my computer), I always click "yes," so that can't be the problem.

Any guidance you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bulleted style (2003)

The built-in bullet styles are "List Bullet", "List Bullet 2", "List Bullet 3", "List Bullet 4" and "List Bullet 5", so "bulleted" must be a custom style.
    I would open Normal.dot itself in Word, edit the "bulleted" style to remove the indentation, then save Normal.dot.
    Its default location is Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftTemplates.
    Since Application Data is a hidden folder, you must show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer in order to see it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bulleted style (2003)

Well, it's working now. Let's see if the .88" indent comes back in a couple of days...

Thank you!