New Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop won't stay connected at work.

Firefox forums referred me here. I have a laptop I take to my part-time job, and use to be able to either hook up to their network through an ethernet or use their wireless signal (with their password, no key). Anyway I haven't been there in awhile but now I can't stay connected with either way. My computer finds their network, states excellent signal, then after about 26 seconds it bumps me off, then connects me again immediately (over & over endlessly). Anyway their IT guy says they haven't changed anything. At home we have SBC DSL and not having any problems there. Even tried turning off the firewall but it made no difference.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Laptop won't stay connected at work.

Welcome to the lounge.

This is very strange, and nothing immediately springs to mind.

To keep everything simple lets just think about the wired Ethernet connection, and ignore any potential wireless problems. So can you answer the following questions about JUST your hard wired Ethernet connection.

When you connect to the Ethernet and it works for "26 seconds" does it actually connect properly at all? How do you know it has connected?
    Do you get an IP address from a DHCP server? What do you see if you type IPCONFIG to a command prompt?
    What happens when the Ethernet disconnects? Does it show that the cable has disconnected or is it some other error message?
    Have you set up your network connection to assign a network address automatically, or do you have a fixed IP address?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes it does properly connect , I see that on the local area connection status page (Connected Firewalled) and it shows Assigned by DHCP, an IP Address, Subnet Mask & default gateway. Then after 26 secs. I get a pop-up (really quick because then it connects again) for limited local area connection, and it shows invalid IP address and all zeros. Then immediately connects again. Since it does show an IP address in that 26 secs. I tried manually typing it in on the TCP/IP alternate configuration page (left the general page alone, obtain an IP address automatically) but it made no difference. I hope I've answered all your questions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is very strange
    I wonder if the DHCP server is giving you a very short lifetime lease
    Can you type IPCONFIG /ALL into a command window whilst you have a valid IP address, look at the values for "Lease obtained" and "Lease expires"
    If the window scrolls too far for you to see these lines then type
    <code>IPCONFIG / ALL > ip.txt</code>
    and then look in the file ip.txt to get the output

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I see Lease Obrained Friday February 15, 2008, Lease Expires Sunday, February 17, 2008.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Those are reasonable values.

Can you look in the event log to see what entries you are getting.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, where do I find the event log?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. The easiest way to run Event Viewer is <code> START > RUN > EVENTVWR.MSC > OK</code>

When it is running, click on System and look at the dates and times of the events, anything that has a Red Error or a Yellow Warning at the time of your poblem can be checked by double clicking the entry in the right hand window. Let us know the Event ID, Source and Description.

StuartR