4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network permissions (2007)

I have a client who will need to have access to another department's network drive in order to import client info from that other department. The second department refers clients to the first and they use similar input forms. By importing they can save a lot of typing (and typos!). The network server is running Windows server (2003?- the latest version). Each department has their own mapped drive to protect confidentiality and stop other departments from creating problems.

My client will not need to write to the other department, only copy information out of their database to be pasted into their own database. Are read permissions all that they need or do they need a higher level? I network admin needs this info to set permissions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network permissions (2007)

Access doesn't work well with only read permissions to the folder containing a database. Since it can't create the .ldb file that keeps track of who has the database open, it locks the database exclusively if someone with only read permissions opens the database, thereby keeping all other users from opening the database. Your client will need full permissions on the folder containing the database.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network permissions (2007)

Thanks Hans