5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scheduled rule or code? (Office 2003)

I'd like to automatically have emails older than xx days be moved out of my Inbox into a (fixed) separate PersonalFolder.

I see rules only act on emails when they are received or sent; I can imagine some VBA code that triggers each time I start Outlook but sometimes my Outlook is not restarted in weeks (and I mean; it stays open all the time).

Any ideas or suggestions (I'm sure there might be commercial tools for this; I'd be looking for something simple as standard functionality or some VBA code I could use or edit to do that).

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scheduled rule or code? (Office 2003)

You can use AutoArchive for this. See <post:=693,163>post 693,163</post:>.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe it's because I'm on an exchaneg server but I do not have the Autoarchive features you show. There is an "Archive..." option in the file-menu, that seem more like a manual one-time thing. The properties of my Inbox (or the folder in which my Inbox resides) does not show and Archive possibility.

For other reasons; I'd prefer to find something around AutoArchive if I could (although if I can get it to work with AutoArchive, I could probably cope).

EJ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

AutoArchive also works if you use Outlook on Exchange (but only for your mailbox and its subfolders, not for public folders). If you're sure that it is not available, consult your network admin - the feature may have been disabled by a group policy.

You'll find some third-party tools on the Slipstick site: Housekeeping and Message Management Tools for Outlook.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

The Autoarchive entry on the File menu is just to run Autoarchive manually (i.e. outside of the configured schedule). Autoarchive is configured by going to Tools | Options | Other | Autoarchive. You can override the default Autoarchive configuration for any folder by right clicking on the folder and selecting Properties | Autoarchive.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tools / Options / Other: see attached picture... I do not see that!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

See separate thread: Autoarchive must have been -partly- disabled or I'm looking in the wronge places...

I indicated commercial tools would -at first- not be an option and I'd like to hear about standard options (e.g. AutoArchive; which in my case seems to be a problem) or VBA code (of course I will look at the suggestions provides in the URL; thanks for that).

I guess a simple loop that runs over the emails in my InBox and determines the age (in e.g. days) (including subfolders optionally) shouldn't be a big deal: I can probably get that working myself. Question remains how to make this code trigger by a time-event or something similar. In Excel we have e.g. "on time". I can have reminders in Outlook; can't I have tasks that run VBA code e.g. every day than?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It should have been in the empty part between the General and Reading Pane sections. It probably means that your IT department has disabled the AutoArchive feature.