4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Comment Boxes Misbehavin'

I have Excel set up to use Transition Navigation Keys (Tools, Options, Transition). This allows me to double-click a commented cell and the comment will open for editing. Lately (and occasionally), when I double-click a commented cell nothing happens. I have to use the menu to "Show Comment" then after editing I have to tell it to "Hide Comment".

Any ideas why this would be happening?

TIA
    Sherry
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Thanks

Re: Comment Boxes Misbehavin'

Hi Sherry,
    If you go into Tools-Options-Edit is the Edit directly in Cell box unchecked? If it's checked then double-clicking in a cell will edit the cell; if it's unchecked, then it should open the comment (if there is one).
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have that checked. And the wierd thing is that some cells with comments will open on a double-click and others won't. This sheet has TONS of comments in it. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Thanks

now I'm stumped! If the box is checked then double-clicking should open the cell not the comment. Either way I don't know why some would behave differently than others. I'll investigate a bit further but hopefully someone else can provide an answer in the meantime.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe the reason double-clicking opens the comment is because I am using the transition navigation keys (tools, options, transition).

Thanks

You may be right but I can't find anything about Transition Navigation Keys affecting a double-click or comments. Also, if I have Edit Directly In Cell unchecked, then the comment opens when I double-click a cell regardless of how the Transition Navigation Keys option is set.
    Is there any code in your worksheet or any protection set on it? (I'm just trying to narrow down the options here!)
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No I don't have any code or protection settings. I took the file that it happens on the most and shortened it to just a few cells - one comment opens (G6) and the other (A7)doesn't.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't bother! Right click and select Edit comment.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Thanks

Hi Sherry,
    I have to admit I'm at a loss! I had a look at your sample and it behaves exactly as you describe. The cell A7 comment doesn't even open if I choose Edit-Comment or Shift-f2. However as soon as I resize row 7, it works normally (at least on my Excel2000). Very strange and I haven't as yet been able to find anything in the MS Knowledge Base. I'll keep looking unless someone else can help.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That doesn't work either. If you look at the cell that doesn't work (A7), right-clicking and selecting Edit |Comment does nothing. Doing the same to the good cell (G6) works as it is supposed to.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WOW! You are absolutely right! Resizing the rows makes the comments open properly. That works for me. If you find out anything about why its happening, let me know.

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sherry

You are quite right. Your sample file behaves decidedly oddly. It does some macro type things but there are no visible macros.

Is it possible you added comments in Excel, then opened the file in lotus and resaved it, then went back to Excel?
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, this sheet is used soley in Excel. But resizing the rows works (for whatever reason).

Thanks.