Thanks

Merging many PST files into one (2002SP3)

There was an Outlook thread in the middle of last year about problems with merging PST files on Vista, which presumably also applies to XP.

I don't suppose in the intervening period anyone has come across a simple and straightforward method (preferably command line!) to merge a dozen or more PST files and the constituent folders into a single PST file?

ExMerge doesn't seem to do what I want, and I may otherwise be left with an iterative process like that described by Brien Posey.

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merging many PST files into one (2002SP3)

I assume that you mean the thread starting at <post:=660,794>post 660,794</post:>. If ExMerge doesn't help, I think you're stuck with the folder-by-folder copy procedure. I haven't heard of a "simple and straightforward method".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If you don't have to do this for more than one user why not just open Outlook with the target PST as the primary file. Then import each PST. You should get the opportunity to say what to do with duplicate data.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

What a pity I didn't read your post until now, after I'd spent 2 hours copying messages across from just under a hundred Inbox folders and one Sent folder for each of fifteen PSTs... That must rate a Grrrrrh!

I will try your method when things calm down a bit - thanks!

Later...I now remember why I didn't do this, because I didn't want to risk Outlook applying these imported messages to the user's mailbox. Incidentally, we don't use PSTs, except for backup. I wanted to create a merged PST for a different user than the one whose Outlook we are running in. I assume you are saying that Import of a PST can only be to the primary file (that which shows as the line "Outlook Today - [Mailbox - BATcher]")?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You do get to specify the destination for the import. So, it may work that you could open another users PST and import into it. If you wish to try that, you should make a copy of the target PST just in case something weird happens.

Joe
    Joe