New Lounger
    Thanks

Cross References and Paragraph Numbering (Word 2000 SP3)

Hi - We're encountering problems when we insert cross references to numbered paragraphs created with styles. The cross reference seems to be picking up the "Space" that follows the paragraph number which had been added to the numbered paragraph style. The "Insert Reference To" we use is "Paragraph Number" I've tried "no context" and "full context" but it makes no difference. The space is always added. Is there a way to edit that cross reference or numbered style to fix this? Our numbering has 3 levels, the 2nd level has the space after the number. They look like this:
    ARTICLE I
    Section 1.01
    (a)
    Thanks for any help or ideas - the Lounge is a great group!
    Katy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cross References and Paragraph Numbering (Word 2000 SP3)

You shouldn't include a space after the paragraph number. Instead, specify the tab position or indent for the outline numbered style.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (14.2 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. In Word 2000 the specify tab position option doesn't exist. It does let me choose to add a tab after the number instead of a space. I've done that. Then I inserted some cross references and updated the existing ones in the document. The cross references are still adding the extra space to both the newly inserted cross references and the updated existing ones. Any ideas why they won't update?

I've created a new document with the paragraph numbering style adding a tab after the number. I inserted cross references and they are working fine. They do not add an extra space or a tab. So the solution you suggested works in new documents but my original document is still misbehaving. I think your suggestion will help with future documents. Thank you once again for your help!
    Katy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps someone who has Word 2000 will have a suggestion for your existing documents.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've got Word 2K at home & just checked your comment about no place to specify tab location in the format numbering menu. It lets you specify where your text position indents, however. You can modify your style for heading levels by adding a tab wherever you indent your text. My heading levels have hanging indents and a tab where I want my title to start. If I ever change the indent text level on the Customize outline numbering menu, the tab and the hanging indent in my style automatically changes to match.