liner

Inserting Excel information (2003)

I have looked at various posts and, to be honest, I despair of a good solution.

I am being asked to make a report that includes the information from an Excel spreadsheet. The information comprises about 8 columns and nearly 3000 rows. I tried a couple of ways using paste/special, but everything drags Word to a crawl. And, that is in a blank Word document! I haven't the guts to try to insert it into my real, 100+ page document.

Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting Excel information (2003)

I wonder what the use is of including a table with 24,000 cells in a report. Is anyone ever going to actually read them all? I'd think it would be more useful to place a small summary table in the Word document, and to refer the reader to the Excel workbook for details.

If you really need to include all the data in Word, and if the Excel table is structured like a table, you might try using mail merge to a directory listing, with the Excel table as data source.

liner

"what the use is of including a table with 24,000 cells"

Unfortunately, this is a legal document. And, I am being asked to make it in this format.

So, what are my options (if any?).

(edit added) Incidentally, just what makes a worksheet be formatted like a table? I am guessing that it is all columns with no merged cells, and it has a row at the top with definitions of the columns.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> it is all columns with no merged cells, and it has a row at the top with definitions of the columns

That sounds correct.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi liner,

For a one-off exercise, the approach you've already experimented with is probably the best in terms of overall performance. If you're going to do this regulalrly, you might get better results by purchasing something like Adobe Acrobat Professional, printing both files to PDF (using the Adobe print driver), then using Acrobat to merge the two PDF files.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

liner

Well, I solved it so it didn't crash

It took a while, but it worked. On my first attempt my poor computer ran 99% for over 1/2 hour trying to insert the table. And, it was so slow I could not fix any formatting. So, I broke up the task. (Did I say that WordPerfect could have done this with a fraction of the work?)

(1) I opened a blank document, and formatted it in the same manner as the final document

(2) I copied a section of the Excel document and pasted it into the blank document using Paste Special RTF (Seems to work more reliably than the Paste Special HTML). I then formatted it (column size, alignment, etc. I did this for two related reasons. The smaller document has less overhead while trying to format things, and if something goes #####, well, I haven't lost the main document.

I increased the size of the copy until things started to get really slow. The limit seems to be about 250 lines.

(3) I copied the formatted sheet into my main document and added a couple of hard returns to space things.

(4) I repeated 1 & 2 for the next section. I then inserted the table, leaving a blank line between this and the previous one so they were separate tables.

(5) When all was done I started at the first table interval and deleted the space, causing the tables to merge. Holding down the ALT key, I then moved the columns to match the previous section. I then repeated things for each additional table break. No hiccups occurred.