New Lounger
    Thanks

Conversion from WordPerfect to Word (MS Word 2007)

Hi all

I have several documents which I produced using Word Perfect 12, and which I now wish to convert to MS Word 2007. They are fairly simple documents with no fancy formatting so the conversion is largely successful, but...

The documents have several footnotes (which have converted OK) but if I try to insert a new footnote everything works fine except that the footnote number in the document appears as plain text, normal size instead of a small superscript. (The actual footnote itself is fine - no problems with that.) So far the only solution I have been able to come up with is to manually change it using the superscript button, which becomes fairly tedious when my document editing involves several new footnotes. Is there anything I can do so that the new footnotes work properly?

Thanks in advance

Robert

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conversion from WordPerfect to Word (MS Word 2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Have you looked at the definition of the Footnote Reference style? It is a character style that Word uses (or ought to use) for footnote numbers. It should include Superscript in its definition.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (3.3 KB, 3 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conversion from WordPerfect to Word (MS Word 2

Thanks Hans

I couldn't find your exact reference (are you using Word 2007 or a different version - or does the XP/Vista issue make a difference - I am using XP).

However I found a partially successful work-around. It doesn't create the footnote reference numbers as superscripts, but if I simply create the footnotes (with the large numbers) then when I have finished I can convert them all at once, as follows: Highlight one of the numbers. In the Home - Editing group choose Select then Select Text with similar formatting. That selects all the footnote references which I can then change as I like. It's an OK solution, but not as good as I would like.

Thanks again

Robert

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using Word 2002 and 2003 on Windows XP. I haven't used Word 2007 yet. Perhaps someone with Word 2007 will have a better suggestion.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Thanks

Robert

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Robert,

The Footnote Reference Style is available by clicking the small arrow under the Styles panel on the main ribbon (see attached image).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

Robert,

Word used to perform a conversion on the premise that the document would (or could) be converted back to WordPerfect. It used to put its focus on making the document look the same in Word, not necessarily to convert it to Word format. It could be that the footnotes it converted are actually heavily formatted to look the way they do. It's possible it still does this in 2007.

In Word, select one of the footnote marks that was converted and press Ctrl+Spacebar to remove direct character formatting. Does this change the way it looks?

Kim

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kim

Thanks

Using CTRL + Spacebar changed the footnote reference to a normal size, on the line, number (the same as the NEW ones created in Word). So where to from here?

I am attempting to attach a document which illustrates my problem.

Robert
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Footnote Reference style doesn't have Superscript in its definition. If you modify the Footnote Reference style to be superscripted, the footnote number should be OK.
    Similarly, the Footnote Text style is defined as Normal + 10 points. If you modify it to have the same font size as Normal (12 points), the footnotes will look "normal" (pun intended).

Macropod has shown in a reply higher up in this thread where you can find these styles.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Thanks. That has solved my problem.

Thanks also to all who contributed. Sorry that it took me so long to finally get there.

Cheers

Robert

Thanks

There is one other option.

If you like the way the footnote reference looks in the converted text (before you cleared the character formatting), then select one of the references. With it selected, right-click on the style in the Styles window (that Macropod illustrated above) and choose "Update Footnote Reference to Match Selection."

Your style will be updated with the direct formatting Word supplied when it converted the footnote references. And all your new footnotes will match automatically.

Kim