4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Database Field & formatting using /l (Word 2003 SP3)

Dear Loungers,

I have some documents that have data pulled in from a database. having got this to behave consistently I am now looking at the formatting. The data is a table on 1 or more rows with a heading and help tells me that I can use the l switch to specify a format as follows:
    l "Format#"
    Applies a format from the Table AutoFormat dialog box (Table menu) to the result of the database query. The number Format# is determined by the table format you select in the dialog box. If this switch is used and the b switch doesn't specify the table attributes, Word inserts an unformatted table.
    My question is how do i find the "number" that applies to the format?

thank you... liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Database Field & formatting using /l (Word 2003 SP3)

Click in any table and select Table | Table AutoFormat... The first format listed is #1, the second is #2 etc. See screenshot below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (12.7 KB, 1 views)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

This works only for inbuilt table styles.The ones I had created, and forced to the top of the list by naming them starting with an underscore are not possible to refer to, there are 42 inbuilt table styles, any number greater than 42 defaults to tableNormal . The other thing is that although the table styles seems to be applied it does not apply the formatting rules. I'm still playing with it but suspect I'll have to do stuff by hand.

liz

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hans,

have semi worked it out, my b setting wasn't correct although I still have the wrong point size but should be able to fix that. It's a shame I can't use my own tables styles (not that I like them really since they still seem to be flaky)

thanks for your help......... ;liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I can tell (and the newsgroups appear to confirm it), you can only apply built-in table styles to the Database field. You can apply a custom table style after inserting the Database field, but it will be undone next time the field is updated.