Lounger
    Thanks

Restoring from Back Ups (WindowsXP & Vista)

I had used Windows Backup to backup my computer onto an external USB drive. I bought a new computer with Vista and am trying to get to my programs and data on the USB drive, but, I get the message that I do not have permission. How do I get past this?

Thanks for any help
    Jim B.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Restoring from Back Ups (WindowsXP & Vista)

Try are restore you data to a folder at the root of the C drive. Once they are there, you should be able to move them to you Documents area.

The problem is Vista does NOT use "My Documents" folder. There is a hidden My Documents but it is for "Software" use only, the legacy programs that must use it. When a program tries to use it then a magic trick happens and sends the user data to the User's "Documents" folder.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Restoring from Back Ups (WindowsXP & Vista)

You may need to take ownership of the files. See Easier Way to Take Ownership and Grant Access Files or Directories in Vista My Digital Life and Vista: How To Take Ownership of a System File - Tech-Recipes.com for instructions on taking ownership of files. Also, just because you can access the program files from an old system does not mean they are usable on a new system. You still need to install the programs on the Vista PC. Also, in order to access a Windows XP backup made by NTBackup see Restore Ntbackup Backups from Windows XP to Windows Vista.

Joe
    Joe