Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Format question (2002)

Hi,

I have a form that has a text control [txtstartdate]. It's formatted to be a short date. A user entered the date of 1/1/101 the other day and it accepted it even though it was not a 4 diget year. I'd like to put in a conditional statement that alerts the user if the year is not 4 digits but do not know how to write the syntax other than the if/than piece.

Thanks!
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format question (2002)

One option is to set the Input Mask property of the text box to a short date format, e.g.
    <code>
    00/00/0000;0;_
    </code>
    Another option is to set a validation rule for the text box. For example, set the Validation Rule to
    <code>
    >#01/01/1900#
    </code>
    (You can specify another date, of course)
    Don't forget to enter an appropriate message in the Validation Text property.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans! I can't beleive I didn't see this im my email or respond. I've been up to my eyeballs learning asp.net 2.0 and sql server 2005 express. OMG I must be out of my mind.

Anyway, you know my need to "understand" the rationale behind the code. On the input mask, what does the ;0;_ after the mask stand for?

Thanks!
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

An input mask can contain up to three sections, separated by semicolons.

The first section is the actual input mask.

The second section is optional; if it is 0, literal characters used in the input mask are stored in the table. If it is 1 or omitted, literal characters are not stored. See example below.

The third section is the placeholder character displayed while you edit the value, for example an underscore _

Example: for a telephone number you could use
    <code>
    (000) 000-0000;0;_
    </code>
    When you click in an empty phone field, you'll see (_ _ _) _ _ _ -_ _ _ _

If you enter (415) 527-1685 the phone number will be stored exactly like that because of the 0 in the middle section.

If you use
    <code>
    (000) 000-0000;1;_
    </code>
    the same phone number would be stored as 4155271685.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Cool! Excellent information!

BTW, which of the lounge areas would you suggest for my sql server 2005 database coding questions?

Thanks!
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to ask a question about SQL or TSQL in SQL Server, this forum (Access) is the best place. If it concerns connecting to SQL server from a web page, the Web Design, Coding and Scripting forum would be better.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm thinking its this forum for this as it is an error it is an error related to the "insert" code I'm using. Yes its for a web page, but the other connections etc. are working correctly so I know this is just my really poor syntax skills! I'll post the question in a new thread and then if I'm in the wrong spot you can redirect it.

Thanks,
    Leesha