5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSG Search (Outlook2003 / WinXP)

Not sure it this is the right forum; maybe this could also be in the WinXP forum

I just learned that it is not straightforward that MSG-files (created when one exports (drags) emails to a folder outside Outlook) can be searched for their contents.

With patches, or additional filters, I understood; Windows Search can be made to find information in these files (I wasn't yet able to do so with my Copernic Desktop Search; don't know if e.g. Google Desktop Search will do that).

Having to explicitly export to e.g. RTF is less simple so being able to directly search (the contents of) MSG-files is best.

Of course the next question would be what would happen to the contents of an attachment inside the original email (now MSG); can that be searched too is the file is MSG? How?

Any insight would be appreciated

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: MSG Search (Outlook2003 / WinXP)

Download details: Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Outlook saved mail (.msg file) indexing is the filter for Windows Desktop Search.

From the download page:

"This iFilter allows you to perform a search on all elements of your MSG (.MSG) files including Message Body; Subject; From; From Name; From Address; To Name; To Address; CC Name; CC Address; Doc Title Prefix; Sent Date; Received Date; Primary Date; Conversation ID; Attachment Names and will indicate if an attachment is present within the .MSG. Additionally, content within attachments are indexed and searched.

By downloading this iFilter, Outlook .MSG files will be indexed by Windows Desktop Search when your PC is idle, or when you select to ‘Index Now’. Once the index is updated you can immediately search your .MSG files."

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool, now can Google Desktop Search do that too?

And what about my own dear Copernic Desktop Search? ;-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Don't know. I just happen to know that you can extend the Microsoft search products with ifilters. You can od a google search on ifilter for more of them. As for the other products, you need to check the sites for those products.

Joe
    Joe