3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 Quit allowing Options (Word 2007)

Yesterday I could print envelopes. Today I cannot.
    Yesterday I just opened a blank document, chose "Mailings" and then "Envelopes". Today it is greyed out. If I open a Mail Merge old "regular" document or new one, it is always greyed out.
    No Microsoft updates were run and no new software installed in the last 2 days. I have not installed Vista SP-1.
    Clicking the office symbol then "Word Options" takes me to the "Resources" choice on the left side. I can choose any of the Resources selections but not any of the items in the left column (like "Advanced" where I could modify the Mailings information normally). Actually "New" document is greyed out too.
    Mail Merge worked yesterday too. Today I get "The AddOld or property is not valid because the license to use the application has expired" yet this is an OEM version of Office 2k7.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2007 Quit allowing Options (Word 2007)

How long have you had Office 2007? Have you registered/activated it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is the funny thing. I have had it since we built the machine as a Vista demo in August. It does appear that the "Activation" was "lost" somehow. The problem is now when I try to activate by any of the normal means nothing happens.
    I click on the Activate button and nothing pops up. I installed the "Activation Assistant" and it only opens Word, I have to manually go to the Activate section. I click on it and nothing.
    I built the machine (I am an OEM reseller) and even though I have sold darn few copies of 2k7, none to my knowledge just lost their activation, one or two people tried the trial versions and then claimed to have "bought" the software but in this case, I built the machine, installed Vista Ultimate and Office 2k7 back in August.
    With XP you could get a phone number to call for activation assistance, any idea how to pull one up in Vista / Office 2k7?
    I logged on my Microsoft partner site and so far have found nothing on this issue.
    As a matter of fact I am not receiving emails so I am needing to manually check on this post (no big deal).

BTW I tried the following which is supposed to delete the Avtivation file, and I still get the same. No Activation ever appears.

In Windows Vista, the Opa12.dat file is stored in a different location than in earlier versions of Windows. To delete this file, you must first configure hidden folders to be visible. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Computer.
    2. On the Organize menu, click Folder and Search Options.
    3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
    To delete the Opa12.dat file, follow these steps: 1. Click Start. In the Search box, type %programdata%, and then press ENTER.
    2. Double-click the Microsoft folder.
    3. Double-click the Office folder.
    4. Double-click the Data folder, right-click the Opa12.dat file in that folder, and then click Delete.
    Important Do not delete the Opa12.bak file.
    5. Close the Windows Explorer window.
    6. Start a 2007 Office program to start the 2007 Office Activation Wizard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think it's time to uninstall Office 2007, remove all traces, then reinstall.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried a few more "things" all without results. So I am uninstalling now. I am going to also (after the uninstall) manually remove the opa12.dat file.
    Of course a OEM reinstall of Office 2k7 is no fun.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, Uninstalled, Manually removed opa12.dat. Rebooted, ran disk clean and then defrag. Reinstalled Office being sure it only installed Small Bus (it tried to also install Access but the COA is for Small Bus). Opened Word. Did not ask for activation, went to the activation button inside Word, Clicked on it and nothing.
    Ran Windows updates. It wants to install Office 2k3 SP3 (Why? 2k3 was never on this PC), SQL Express SP2, 2k7 SP-1, Bus Contact Mgr update and Outlook Junk Mail update.
    Did not ask for Activation for any of this.
    I am not going to run the updates just yet.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do the features that stopped working (such as Envelopes) function correctly again after reinstalling?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, they still do not work and I cannot create anything new (email, documents ...)
    I have called MS and been bounced around to the same areas in an endless loop (literally 4x through the circle).
    As a MS registered partner I thought I could get somewhere but I have not bee able to.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Resolved Word 2007 Quit allowing Options

Resolution:
    Uninstall Office - DO NOT REBOOT
    Uninstall Business Contact Manage (if applicable)
    Uninstall old copies of Office if applicable (that was not my case)
    Open the Registry
    Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft
    Delete the "Office" folder - everything in it, yes, the entire folder.
    now navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft
    Delete the "Office" folder - everything in it, yes, this entire folder too.
    Exit the registry
    Open "Computer" and navigate to C:|Program Files delete the folder "Microsoft Office"
    Now reboot
    Reinstall Office

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Resolved Word 2007 Quit allowing Options

I'm glad you managed to get rid of the problem - deleting all traces of the former installation was probably the key to success...