I have recently been experiencing a bizarre phenomenom and I wonder if anyone recognizes it or can offer advice.
Sometimes, especially after a period of inactivity, my machine will simply enter a state of "disablement." By that I mean,
1. The screen appears normal, the mouse works, desktop icons can be selected, but double-clicking on them will not launch the program. All it does is bring up the shortcut properties window.
2. A program can be launched from the start menu, but once launched, the main menus are inactive. For example, I can start Word, but clicking on the "File" menu button (or any other button) does nothing. The keyboard also does nothing.
3. Several other things will not work. In particular, I cannot switch users, or stop, or restart the computer.
4. This bizarre mode often occurs on the opening screen, even after a reboot. The shutdown options button in the lower right corner will not work. A user account can be activated, but none of the operations therein will work. If the user account requires a password, it cannot be entered because the keyboard is disabled.
5. Sometimes, one of my three user accounts is not affected. If I enter that account, and then back out of it, then EVERYTHING will work normally.
6. I have suspected different time-sensitive features, including screensavers and power options, and have turned everything off. No help.
So far, I have always been able to get out of this jam by fiddling around with various desktop start buttons, but I have not been able to pin down a particular sequence that works reliably.
Any comments or suggestions?