New Lounger
    Thanks

Urgent help with Word (Word X for Mac)

I am trying to lock down logos that I've placed in the Header and Footer so that future users will not be able to edit them in any way, even when they visit the Header and Footer. All I want the users to do is to type in the designated area for a letter (foreground). How do you lock these logos down in the Header and Footer? I have tried to do this and taken instructions from other forums but nothing works. Please help. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Urgent help with Word (Word X for Mac)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

You can protect your document for forms using Tools | Protect Document, and specify which sections of the document will be protected. In a document protected for forms, the user cannot edit headers and footers, even in unprotected sections. You can use a macro to unprotect the document, modify a header or footer, then protect the document again.

Warning: Microsoft has removed VBA from Office 2008 for the Macintosh.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.
    That locks the document fully. Is there a way that I can lock the header and footer only? I still want users to access part of the document. Mainly so they can just type a letter and not change anything else.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want the users to be able to edit (part of) the document, you have to insert at least one section break (using Insert | Break).

If your document contains more than one section, and if you select Forms in the the Tools | Protect document... dialog, the Sections... button will be enabled. Clicking this button opens a dialog in which you can specify which sections will be locked and which ones won't. You can even leave all sections unlocked, if you wish. You can also specify a password that will be needed to unprotect the document.

In a document that has been protected for forms, users can still enter and edit text in the unlocked sections, but they cannot select View | Headers and Footers - this menu option will be disabled.