New Lounger
    Thanks

Registry Errors?? (Home Premium)

Hello All!
    About once a week I use a utility called "Uniblue RegistryBooster" which supposedly checks for Registry errors and then repairs them. My question is, since I don't try anything fancy, and I confine my computer use to tasks like using Microsoft Word, checking out familiar internet sites, and playing the occasional game, I don't know where in the %$#@! the Registry errors come from. The two that occur the most often are "Empty Keys" for the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, and entries that are flagged as "Missing Keys or Invalid Path." Are these errors cause for concern, or am I getting worked up over nothing?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Mike Rapp
    Illinois, USA

Thanks

Re: Registry Errors?? (Home Premium)

Mike,
    I wouldn't get too concerned over these types of "errors".
    You can let the prog delete these things without worry.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Are you using a version that the vendor says works with Vista? Over the years I used to use these sorts of tools regularly. But now I think they have the chance to screw up more than they fix. You'll never notice a few (or even a few hundred) empty keys. the only time I use any of this sort of tool is if I think there is a problem and want to try to identify possible registry issues.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In addition what Joe said:

Windows 2000 was the last version which limits registry size. In other words, it was the last version for which it made sense to "clean" the registry (i.e. reduce registry size) and check it for "errors" (i.e. unused references; real errors in the registry immediately crash Windows).

Later versions (Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista) have no limit for registry size; that's why I would strongly recommend DO NOT use any "registry cleaning" utilities on these versions. Removing seemly unused reference may crash Windows - remember it!

Thanks

>Removing seemly unused reference may crash Windows - remember it!

I can't say I agree with you on this. No matter how fast your system is or how unlimited the size of the registry, if you just let the reg grow on and on, ad infinitum, you end up with a seriously bloated file that the registry has to look through every time it has the need. Why keep old, outdated entries hanging around? What does it prove?
    Personally, I would rather clean out the junk. I do a lot of trial program "look sees" and it is amazing looking at the old references left behind in the reg.
    So unless you install your OS and only do very limited changes over the life of your system, then leaving the reg intact MAY make some sense. IMHO.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I'd suggest that if you have the PC to support it you ought to check into running a virtual machine for testing. That way you won't disturb your real PC with software you aren't sure of. If you decide to keep it either keep running the VM or install it on the host PC.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe,
    Thanks for the tip but I think I prefer my present methodsetup over getting into a VM install right now. Maybe later on I might experiment with it but not at this time.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I may put my two cents in? If you do any downloading or installing of any kind, it sometimes will leave empty temp files in you registry and they will show up as errors. Just have your program fix them. Your program will delete these files as part of the fix. then go ahead and defrag the registry to fill up the empty space.