4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Doggone MSNBC !!! (Home Page Usurping Problem) (7)

Hello again...

W/ IE7, I have Yahoo News set up as my primary home page & Fox News set up as a secondary home page. I do the majority of my web searching thru Yahoo; & the two sites are tabbed accordingly. Now...over the past two weeks or so...somehow...MSNBC has thrown Yahoo News completely out of the top slot; &...there it is...loading as my home page every time I log onto the internet. I have no idea how this occurred, 'cause, I very rarely surf to MSNBC. But twice now...I've put things back the way they were...& MSNBC came along & swapped themselves in, again !!!

How do I rectify this problem, mateys?

Thanks,

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Doggone MSNBC !!! (Home Page Usurping Problem) (7)

Usually, this happens when you inadvertantly click in a 'make this my homepage' link. It can also happen when you install software.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Most anti-spyware including Adaware & Adwatch & Spybot S&D have an IE settings protection feature that will monitor various aspects of IE, including the "home page" to prevent it being altered by spyware. Unless you change it using the Adaware or Spybot control panel it will always reset it to the default chosen when you installed it (or changed via the CP).

You might also take a look at your HOSTS file to see if there is any mention of MSN there. IF so delete the mention of it, not the whole file.

It's only a text file at C:WindowsSystem32etc folder.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

After resetting your home page, you could run Home Page Lock (#63, left hand side) from Kelly's Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP. If you ever want to change the home page again, run Home Page Unlock from the same page.