New Lounger
    Thanks

Finding unicode (Word 2007)

I'm a long-time user of Word95, but finally I need to start figuring out Word 2007 because of Unicode. My question seems fairly straightforward to me, but I can't get the answer in the help system to work. All I want to do (for the moment) is to be able to search for a unicode character by its unicode number. So, for instance, if I want to search for a capital Greek Theta, according to the help information, I should type in the Find box: ^U0398 (help system says search for ^Unnnn). But when I do that (with wildcards turned off), I get an error message to the effect that ^U is not a valid string for the find box. If I add another ^ or lowercase the U, then it searches but doesn't find anything, even if I type it in myself in the document. So what am I missing?

Thanks very much.

phamousphil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Finding unicode (Word 2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

In the first place, you *must* use lower case u, not upper case U.
    In the second place - and this is admittedly very confusing - the Insert | Symbol dialog displays hexadecimal character codes for unicode symbols, while the Find dialog expects decimal values.
    You can use the Calculator accessory built into Windows in its Scientific setting to convert from hexadecimal to decimal. Hexadecimal 398 = decimal 920, so you should enter ^u0920 or even ^u920 in the Find what box to find the Theta.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Finding unicode (Word 2007)

Thank you, Hans. You're right--that's very counterintuitive, especially in light of the information in the help file. But I tried it and it works. Terrific!

And thanks for the welcome. I may very well be back.

Phil