2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Append Query (2000)

Can someone please help me understand why, when I copied a current table's structure in a database and pasted the new table in the same database and then go to append records from the old table that has 115000+ records to the new table (records with a "date" greater than 1/1/07) that I get the following message:

"Said database can't append all the records in the append query. Date set 0 fields to Null due to a type of conversion failure and it didn't add 0 records to the table due to key violations, 0 records due to lock violations, and 37811 records due to validation rule violations."

The new table, which I copied from the old table, has the exact same fields/properties that the old table has. So I don't understand the validation rule violation. Can someone please enlighten me and in plain English tell me what other things I might need to check and adjust in order to get the append query to work properly? Many thanks!...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Append Query (2000)

Did you add a validation rule to (a field in) the table after it had already been populated?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Hans, that is a possibility, as the records start four years ago and I'm sure the table/form has been adjusted since then. Does this mean I'm not going to be able to append the records? :-( I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll have to look at the design of each field in the table to see if there is a validation rule, and if to, remove it temporarily. Also look for a table-level validation rule in the properties of the table as a whole.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans! Nothing's ever easy, is it? I appreciate the advice, as I didn't have a clue what was wrong and where to begin to correct it. Wish me luck! Always appreciate your quick responses to cries for help!...Mary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid there is no quick-and-easy solution for this. Good luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I just removed the only validation rule on one of the fields and there was no general validation rule for the table itself. I copied the structure of the table after I removed the validation rule and ran the append query again and get the exact same message. Woe is me! Any other ideas as to what might be the problem? Many thanks!...Mary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Would it be possible to create and attach a copy of the database and leave a small number of records that still cause the problem? (The database must be zipped)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans...I'm afraid that the database is huge!

Before I got your response, I made a copy of the old table and ran a "delete" query on it with opposite criteria, which worked fine and gave me the results I wanted for a new table, so I guess this can be a roundabout way to get a new table with only the data wanted. What do you think?...Mary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That certainly seems easier than fighting with the append query!