New Lounger
    Thanks

Determine maximum print area for printer (2003 SP3)

Hi there - hoping someone can help me out on this, please. I'm afraid it's basically the perennial 'margins are outside of the printable area' problem when printing from Word.

I am trying to determine the margin tolerances on a various printers - HP, Ricoh & Brother. In order to establish the minimum margins for each:

1. I select the printer in File, Print & then click Close.
    2. Then I create a brand new document based on normal.dot & use File, Page Setup & set all the margins to zero, click OK and, when the system issues the message offering to fix the margins, click 'yes'.

I thought that would establish the minimum margins for the selected printer type. However, when I've done this and immediately try to print the document to the selected printer, the 'margins are outside the printable area of the page' message appears. But surely, if the system has automatically set the margins in this way, they must be correct?

For example, using a HP OfficeJet G85, when I click 'yes' to fix the margins from File, Page Setup, the margins are set at Top = .18cm, Bottom = 1.25cm, Left = .33cm and Right = .36cm. When I print a document with these margins, I get the error.

This happens with all the printers so cannot be a driver issue. It also occurs regardless of if I save the document or work with an unsaved one, and regardless of whether there is any text in the document or not i.e. it happens with a completely blank document. And finally, it happens on more than one machine, different operating systems & different sites. Actually, the only common denominator is me! Oh, and Word 2003.

Does anyone have any ideas, please? As always, many thanks for any help you can offer.
    ArchieD

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Determine maximum print area for printer (2003 SP3)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

This problem plagues recent versions of Word with several printers. In my experience, the top, left and right margins are ok after letting Word fix them, but the bottom margin still causes problems. Increasing the bottom margin by 0.01" from the value it has after Word has fixed it appears to get rid of the error message. Your mileage may vary.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Determine maximum print area for printer (2003 SP3)

Hi HansV
    Many thanks - and for such a speedy response. It helps to know my logic isn't completely daft.
    ArchieD