4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting database information filed size limits (2003 SP2)

Dear Loungers,

I am successfully using the database filed to retriev information form an Access database. However I have noticed that fields are truncated when they are long, it seems like longer than 252 (I think it's likely to be 255 but I only counted 252). The data, in some cases, comes from a field defined as Memo so can be quite large.

It may be that my only way round it is to create several text fields of 255 and concatenate them when the description is longer. But is there another way round this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting database information filed size limits (2003 SP2)

Do you have a format on the Memo field, or do you perform some kind of calculation (formula) involving the memo field? That tends to truncate it.

The Database field can handle memo fields in Word 2003 - see screenshot below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (21.4 KB, 0 views)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    There is no format or calculation it is a straight memo field. it is retrieved from a query using this fieldcode:

DATABASE d "Z:26 Next_GenerationBusiness Model (NGRM)BusinessModel.mdb" c "QUERY QRY Requirement List " s "SELECT [RqNo], [Description], [Priority] FROM [QRY Requirement List ] WHERE (([PROC_id] = 118))" h b "53" l "16"

This is a dde link - I'm about to chnage it to an ODBC in case that makes a difference.

liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's worth a try to see if DDE or OLE DB works any better.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I get the same result with both DDE & ODBC. In the example you gave what method is used and what is the field type and other settiings?

I have double checked the word version in case I was wrong - because I know there was a problem in Word 2000 - but it's definitely Word 2003 SP2 could there be some way that 2000 limitation has been introduced?
    liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the field code using ODBC with a DSN named Access:

{ DATABASE c "DSN=Access;DBQ=C:AccessTest.mdb;DriverId=25;FIL=M S Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;" s "SELECT tblEmployees.EmployeeID, tblEmployees.Notes FROM tblEmployees tblEmployees" h }

I know that there were problems with memo fields in Word 2000, but the above works correctly for me in Word 2002 SP3 and in Word 2003 SP3.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

This exactly as I have used it, except for the specific table & field names.

I now seem to have discovered that it is a limitation if you are using a query as a source, if it is a table it seems to work. I was using queries because it seemed to be simpler and I need the same queries for other things. However will not try using a table and the simple query offerings or if more complex use MSQuery.

The nuisance is that I had coded it such that when no records were found by the query for a particular item the query returned a value of "None" which made sense in the Word document. Shame!

Thanks for the help....... liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the query do anything with the memo field except returning it, such as sorting or grouping on it? That might cause the problem.
    I tested with a query that simply returns some fields including a memo field:

{ ... s "SELECT * FROM `qryTest`" }

and still got the complete contents of the memo field.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hans,

I think I have it nailed now. Everything is fine with queries as long as there is no manipulation such as IIF, what I can't quite establish is that in any new query I create as long as my IIF statement is not on the memo field it works, but with the original query even when I remove the IIF statement from the memo field and add to another field it truncates the result in word. It doesn't matter where the IIF is since it is to make sure I have a line in the table with the "None" literal, this could be anywhere in the row.

Anyway I played for long enough and now have a working method so will use that.

thank you.......... liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So you did have a calculation involving the memo field after all...
    But it's good that you have a workaround.