Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: sql server 2005 Express

Is SQL Server express installed at 1and1.com? If it is they need to tell you the details of connect to it. Not trying to be a smart aleck, but just because you put the database MDF file somewhere on the 1and1.com servers does not mean you don't need a database manager to access the files. You still need to configure the database in either SQL server or SQL server express. For SQL Server express you need to use the Management Studion and explore the SQL server templates to create a backup.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

Not to worry, you aren't being a smart aleck! I have confirmed that sql server express IS installed on their server. The suggested I import the data from it into sql server that resides in my profile on their server. I'd gladly do this but have yet to find a way to create a .bak file from sql server express to then import in. Everything I've read says that express should reside in the app_data folder on the root of the web which is where it lies.

I have management studio on my computer and when I have it set to connect to sqlexpress. However when I go to open the database that I'm working with (that was created in visual web devloper express) nothing shows up. If I go to file open and try to open it I get an error that says there is no editor for this type of file and to be sure the application for .mdf has been installed.

This is the code they referred me to for linking to a sql database. I'm not sure if it will link to an express database. Either way, I get an error stating that the syntax is wrong. I am attaching the example they sent, my attempt at the code and the server error. BTW, I'm not using user name or passwords at this point.. I've been working with it but I'm a newbie to sql and asp so I'm not sure if I'm even going in the right direction. I have learned alot though!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

sql server 2005 Express

Hi,
    I hope I'm on the right forum. I have just taken on the task of learning asp.net 2.0 and am quite excited about the possbilities but am frustrated beyond belief with my inability to get my test page to open on the internet. I'm using 1and1.com and have verified with them that they do work with asp.net 2.0 and sql server 2005 express edition. From everything that I've read, the sql server 2005 express mdf files have the unique ability to lie in their own folder on the root of the domain called the app_data file. This is where my file lies. I'm using visual web developer 2005 express to develope my test page. The attachdbfile property is set to a folder on my C drive. This does not seem to editable. Again, from everything I've read (including the msdn asp.net pages/forums) the hosting company sets their IIS to override this property and point the form to my sql server 2005 express database. I've contacted their help department, and although very nice, all they do is send me to links related to connecting to sql server 2005 which resides on their server. This isn't helpful to me since my tables etc. are not stored in that database and there doesn't seem to be any way to backup of the sql server 2005 express tables to import them in, else I'd simply go that route and connect.

Every time I think I'm gettting a handle on this I hit another wall and I'm frustrated as all get out, but determined not to let it beat me! Any advice would be appreciated. I've learned a great deal and the past two weeks since stating this process but am no closer to connecting than I was when I started.

Thanks,
    Leesha
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

In the Management Studio, go to View | Template Explorer. Then in the template panel expand the backup folder. You should see an entry for Backup Database. You can edit that, save the sql, and run it.

Alternately, can the ISP support folks tell you how to do an Attach in SQL Server for your MDF file ?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

Thank you for sticking with me on this. I found the section for backup that you referred to. This is a HUGE find for me. Don't laugh, but how do I locate my database that was created in visual web developer 2005 express? When I connect to to the object explorer I choose sqlexpress, but my database is not there under the database section. When I go to open a file and tunnel to it that is where I get the error listed in my last post about being sure the application for the file .mdf is installed. I'm sure that once I find the database I'll still have backup questions, but I won't even know until can connect to the database.

This is what they sent me re how to attach to the sql server.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    If you already have a
    database created through MS Express Edition, you have to import first
    your db files in the MyAdmin of the MSSQL found in the control panel.
    Please refer to this link
    http://faq.1and1.com/applications/ms_sql_a...stration/9.html on how to
    import your db files.

Once its imported in your 1&1 MSSQL, you can now make a connection to
    the database using ASP.net script. Kindly refer to this link
    http://faq.1and1.com/scripting_languages_s.../asp_net/5.html for
    the sample script that you can also use to connect your website to your
    database.
    __________________________________________________ ___----

This shouldn't be so hard. They basically told me I'm on my own to figure this out .....................as they said "scripting is already beyond our scope of support". They suggested I do a google search. I've been searching and reading google for 2 weeks and am no where closer to getting this done.

Thanks!
    Leesha