Thanks

Need to Upgrade? Office 2000 (9.0.6926 SP3)

I am about to have a new PC built. I've pretty much concluded that I want XP-Pro as the OS. I want to know if there are any good reasons for me to upgrade MS Office from Small Business Edition version 2000?

I use Word and Excel. I use them often, almost every day. I use both to save information I've found on the web. I have a few Word templates that I use. I use Excel to track finances. Sometimes I create charts; it took me a while to discover that a 'scatter plot' was the term used to create a graph of two types of data, one against the other.

The Hacker's Guide taught me how to write macros in Word Basic, then MS abandoned it. I have other things to do than to relearn how to do all that stuff in a new context. Most of the time Search/Replace lets me get things done fairly quickly, like reformat narrow paragraphs filled with paragraph marks that need to be replaced with spaces, or insert tabs so that a 'table' can be copied into Excel.

In Excel I am often frustrated by the 'dumb down' feature that refuses to let me copy a table from the web that contains fractions (1/2, 1/4, etc) without their being interpreted as dates whether I want that feature or not. More than once I've been provoked by the Search feature in Excel requiring my opening and closing it over and over again if I want access to the worksheet after I've found a particular cell while Word allows me to keep it open and tab back and forth between the search box and a document. The Excel feature that lumps all the changes into one master list, no matter how may spreadsheets are open is another irritation. It pretty much demands that one not open several spreadsheets if one plans to make many corrections.

Thus far Excel has worked for me as a DB program. I've never examined Access.

If these annoyances have not been addressed, I cannot see a good reason to upgrade. That it, unless, MS demands it by refusing to plug gaping holes in the software by declaring it obsolete and no longer supported.

Perhaps I should add that I use keystrokes rather than my mouse to move around a document and to carry out other simple tasks.

Can anyone suggest any $ value in my ordering a newer version of Office?

Thanks,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need to Upgrade? Office 2000 (9.0.6926 SP3)

The Find / Replace dialog in Excel 2002 and later is modeless, like that in Word, i.e. you can edit cells while the dialog is open.

I don't think that the other things that irritate you have been improved.

Office XP and 2003 have relatively small changes compared to Office 2000. The interface in Office 2007 has been changed radically: menus and toolbars have been replaced by a 'ribbon'.

Thanks

Thank you, Hans, for the prompt and informative reply.

Is it still possible to purchase Office 2003, perhaps at a discount? I would not want to spend a large amount of money just to obtain the modeless Find/Replace dialog in Excel.

I looked down through the recent discussion comparing Office 2003 and Office 2007 and saw the information about the 'ribbon;' it did not impress me.

I will turn 68 next month. I have better things to do with my time than to make an effort to adapt to 'clever' changes dictated by the marketing department to the software being written in Redmond.

Soon enough, Microsoft will announce that Office 2000 is 'no longer supported.' Shortly thereafter someone will discover a way to exploit the software to gain access to my computer and I will be obliged, grudgingly, to upgrade. Perhaps I'll wait until then.

Thanks,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can probably still get Office 2003 - search in Google or ask a local retailer.