5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Companies and contacts (2003)

I will have a table of film titles which will include a company field to identify which company made the film. Within each company there will be a particular contact who is responsible for a particular film.
    So I'm planning three tables: Titles, Companies and Company Contacts. I will then build a form for data entry of the titles, and plan to use two combo-boxes to enable selection of the company and then selection of the company's available contacts. Does this make sense? Is this a good approach? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Companies and contacts (2003)

Sounds good. If you need info about linking two combo boxes, see How to synchronize two combo boxes on a form in Access 2002 or in Access 2003, or search this forum for cascading combo box.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the reassurance. I might also disable the contacts drop-down on the main form until a company has been selected..
    When I build the (third) CompanyContacts table, is there any reason to have a ID (Autonumber) field? It would be driven by the form anyway, in that only contacts relevant for that company would be listed?
    Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand you correctly, each film title will be made by one company, and have one contact within that company. This means that you need a company ID field and a contact ID field in the film titles table. An AutoNumber ID field is the easiest way to create a unique key in the contacts table.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Perhaps I'm naive, but why do I need a unique key in the contacts table? I understand the advantage of the company id - particularly if the company name changes slightly (which happens). Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You need to store a link to the contact in the film titles table. I wouldn't use the contact's name for that - it can be misspelled, for example, or it can change. An autonumber field is the simplest way to create a unique identifier.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think a penny has just dropped. I wouldn't expect the contact name to change often, but a misspelling is very likely. Thanks again, Andy.