Star Lounger
    Thanks

English User/Spanish User (WinXP Home)

In a few short days I will be leaving for Guatemala, where I will be teaching at two different seminars for local ministers. A local computer store here in the Virginia Beach area has donated a refurbed/recycled Toshiba laptop for the trip, with the understanding that I will leave it behind in Guatemala with whoever can best make use of it there.

I will be using the laptop during the week to create and burn master CDs of the teaching sessions, so my temporary user account must default to US English. I have created another user account for the as-yet-unknown recipient, but I need to customize that account so that everything for that user -- Windows itself and all the apps -- defaults to Spanish.

So far I haven't been able to find the settings that will let me do that. Any help would be most appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: English User/Spanish User (WinXP Home)

Do you mean the language used in the interface - menus, dialogs, etc., or the language used for spell checking etc.?

The consumer versions of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office are localized for a single language: the interface is in one language only, with no option to change it. The multi-language version that lets you change the interface language is only available to large corporate accounts.

You can set regional and language options for each user individually though - this will affect spell checking, the default currency and the display of numbers, dates and times. You do this in the Date, Time, Language and Regional Options control panel. Microsoft Office comes with support for spell and grammar checking in several languages.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: English User/Spanish User (WinXP Home)

<hr>Do you mean the language used in the interface - menus, dialogs, etc., or the language used for spell checking etc.?<hr>

All of it: the user interface and spell check. What a disappointment that it can't be done! I debated over whether to set up this machine with its native WinXPHome license (using the license key labeled to the bottom of the unit) or to use Ubuntu 7.10 (which can do precisely what I want in this regard). In the end, I opted for Windows, because I have no idea what sort of support the user will have once I leave it with him. The main issue with Ubuntu had to do with the modem drivers and setup, and I suspect that the new owner will only have dial-up capabilities.

<hr>You can set regional and language options for each user individually though - this will affect spell checking, the default currency and the display of numbers, dates and times. You do this in the Date, Time, Language and Regional Options control panel. Microsoft Office comes with support for spell and grammar checking in several languages.<hr>

I think I've set up the spell check properly for a Spanish-speaking user, but thanks for the checklist (Date, Time, Language, Regional optons). I will go through that again thoroughly.

Thanks for your help and your reply.