Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge from Excel

I currently have an excel spreadsheet that I use as a database for clients and I use Word for Proposals, Invoices and the like via a mail merge command that pulls in the relevant client line details into the Word document.

I have now had a brainwave and require to put a section on the database spreadsheet which will merge in all the pricing details of our various events. So when I need to make changes it is updated only in one place and it affects everyone's documents accessing the database on the network (Only 3 users). However, this would obviously need to be done with absolute cell addressing (something like $A$1). How do I do this in a mail merge type environment?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

HowardC

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge from Excel

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Mail merge can only work with a database-like table (column headers in the first row, data records in the second and subsequent rows); mail merge doesn't know about Excel cell addresses such as A2. So you must either incorporate the data you need in the source table for the mail merge, or you will have to find another method to get the data from Excel into Word. Without knowing the exact situation it's impossible to give more detailed advice.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Thanks for the reply. The request that I posted came as a result of a request from a friend. I use Excel extensively, but have limited knowledge of MS Word's functionality.

I have emailed from fiend to get some sample data and exactly what he is trying to achieve

Regards

Howard
    l

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Attached please find sample data. I need the pricing in AC2:AP2 to be merged into the word Document.

it would be appreciated if you could assist

Regards

Howard
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd put the extra data in another worksheet - either in the same workbook or in another workbook.

Select the range that you want to insert into the merge document, and copy it to the clipboard.
    Open the merge document, and place the insertion point where you want to insert the data.
    Select Edit | Paste Special..., click the Paste Link option then click OK.
    (You can experiment with different formats - Excel object, formatted text, etc.) to see which one suits you best.

Since you used Paste Link, changes in the Excel worksheet will be reflected in the merge document and hence in the result of the mail merge.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Have set up prices in seperate worksheet (Sheet2). I have now copied the data A2:N2. I have opened up the word document. Excel Allows one to Edit | Paste special and to click on Paste Link.

How to I merge or link this data on Sheet2 on the word document so that if the prices are updated on Excel it will automatically filter through. i'm not quite sure how to do this in Word. I'm very familiar with Excel, but not Word

Your assistance will be most appreciated

Regards

Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open the Excel workbook.
    Activate the Sheet2 worksheet.
    Select A2:N2.
    Select Edit | Copy or press Ctrl+C to copy this range to the clipboard.

Now open the Word document.
    Click in the document where you want to insert a link to the Excel range.
    Select Edit | Paste Special...
    Click Paste Link.
    Click OK.

You should now see a copy of the Excel range in your document. If you switch to Excel, change one or more cells in Sheet2!A2:N2, then switch back to Word, you should see the changes there.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Thanks for the help. the mail Merge linking the Prices works perfectly

Regards

Howard

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

You kindly helped me a while back to link an Excel Document, which worked very well.

However, If The Excel Document is on one PC and the Word Document and on another PC, and they are on a network I can get the link to update. If I copy the Word file on to the PC with the Excel workbook, than the update link works.

Is there any way of correcting this on the server/network so that the link works in a network environment?

Your assistance will be most appreciated

Regards

Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume that you intended to write "I <big>can't</big> get the link to update"

The easiest solution is to place the Excel workbook in a shared network folder.
    It's also possible to share a folder on the hard disk of the other PC, but that might compromise security.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Thanks for the advise. Its a pretty simple procedure

Regards

Howard