Lounger
    Thanks

'Tag' a name to replace in a file (Word 2003)

Is it possible to create a generic document with a "label" (say, for a company name) such that I could automatically replace this label throughout the document when the label changes? [I'm looking for something other than search/replace.] For example, I could take a document with references to Pelican Inc. throughout and "tag" Pelican Inc. somehow so that I could replace each occurrence of Pelican Inc. with Parakeet Corp.?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Tag' a name to replace in a file (Word 2003)

I know that you're working on a document with formfields. If you tick the check box "Calculate on exit" in the properties of a text or dropdown formfield, you can refer to it elsewhere by creating a cross reference (Insert | Reference | Cross reference...) to its bookmark name. The cross reference(s) will be updated automatically when the user changes the value of the formfield and tabs away from it.

You can store also information in document properties - either the built-in properties that you can view and edit in the Summary tab of File | Properties, or custom properties created in the Custom tab of the same dialog.
    You can refer to a document property by creating a DocProperty field (Insert | Field...)

DocProperty fields aren't updated automatically, but they will be when the document is printed, or when you update all fields (Ctrl+A, F9).

Lounger
    Thanks

Good memory! This is a different Word document with no form fields. I've tried bookmarking the company name and setting a document property called client, but I must not be doing it properly because it is not working. (I've never used this feature before.) This sounds like it would work if I could change every occurrence of client in the document. Could you please give me more detailed instructions? As always, thanks for the advice.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Option 1: using a bookmark.

Enter the company name.
    Select the company name.
    Select Insert | Bookmark...
    Type a name (without spaces), for example Client.
    Click OK.

Move to another location in the document where you want to refer to the company name.
    Select Insert | Reference | Cross Reference...
    Select Bookmark as Reference type.
    Select Client (or whichever name you gave the bookmark) from the list of bookmarks.
    Click Insert.

Repeat as needed.

If you want to change the company name, you have to edit the text of the bookmark, taking care not to delete the bookmark in the process.
    Then either print (or print preview) the document, or press Ctrl+A then F9 to select the entire document and update all fields.

Option 2: using a custom document property.

Select File | Properties.
    Activate the Custom tab.
    Type Client in the Name box.
    Type the company name in the Value box.
    Click Add to create the document property.
    Click OK to close the dialog.

Move to a location in the document where you want to refer to the company name.
    Select Insert | Field...
    Select DocProperty in the list of field names.
    Select Client (or whichever name you gave the property) from the list of available properties
    Click OK.

Repeat as needed.

If you want to change the company name, select File | Properties again, select Client in the list of properties at the bottom, then edit the value and click Modify.
    Then either print (or print preview) the document, or press Ctrl+A then F9 to select the entire document and update all fields.

Lounger
    Thanks

I chose Option 2, and I just got it to work! Thank you for the detailed instructions.