New Lounger
    Thanks

Scanning for Rootkits (Vista Home Premium)

Starting on page 220 in "Windows Vista for Dummies", Woody details how to scan for rootkits using Sophos. He even "strongly" recommends it. Carefully following Woody's directions, I found Sophos, downloaded the program - Sophos Anti Rootkit 1.3 - and went through the registration process. I then started the program. Immediately a message appeared saying, bluntly "Sophos Anti Rootkit does not support Vista".
    What is going on? Surely Woody would have known that it does not support Vista!
    Please help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scanning for Rootkits (Vista Home Premium)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Woody probably expected Sophos to release a version that runs on Vista before his book came out. But according to Sophos Anti-Rootkit: overview it only runs on Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003.

See Anti Rootkit Software Scanners for Vista.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thank you for your response and for the useful link to other Anti Rootkit scanners.
    As a novice I was comfortable with Woody's rootkit scanning recommendation and his choice of Sophos. But now that Sophos won't work with Vista and other free scanners are available I am confused as to which might be best. Is it possible that a rootkit scanner would conflict with Symantec's Norton anti virus which I have installed.
    I would appreciate any help with making a choice.
    Thank you, again.
    Sincerely, Norm

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have Norton Anti-Virus, you don't really need a rootkit scanner, since protection against rootkits is included in all recent versions of NAV.

But if you wish, you can run a scan with another rootkit scanner - that shouldn't conflict with NAV. I don't know which one is best for Vista.

One more point: some rootkit scanners, such as Rootkit Revealer from Microsoft, will turn up lots of results, but most of them are not malicious. So be careful, don't let the program remove items if you're not certain they are malicious rootkits. (For example, Norton Anti-Virus creates several hidden processes.)