5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ERI Politics (2003)

I am re-building a poorly designed and maintained database and the company wish to retain existing (mis-typed, etc.) records. They also want to add new company and contact details freely. I'm very keen on enforcing referential integrity to create a 'proper' database. However, I'm sure I'll just have to create the database without enforcing and let them do what they want. I would be interested to hear of peoples approach to this kind of situation? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ERI Politics (2003)

If you're going to rebuild it, I'd insist on improving the design - otherwise why rebuild at all? It may not be possible or desirable to create an 'ideal' design, but leaving inconsistencies will only lead to more problems in the future.
    You'll have to clean up the data in order to be able to enforce referential integrity. When I had to do this in the past, I would often use Excel to do that, using formulas and macros.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As a specific example, existing records include staff members names. Some of these staff members have left and so shouldn't appear in the new drop-down list that they require. I was considering ERI but ensuring that combo-boxes are based on a query that excludes those (few) specific staff who have left. Of course, if I didn't enforce then this issue wouldn't arise as I wouldn't include their names in the staff table?! Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can add a Yes/No field to indicate whether a staff member has left, and use a query that selects only present staff members.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Once again.. great suggestion! Andy.