Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query design (Access 2007)

We have a table including fields for Order no., Order date, and Client no. Is it possible to create a "client retention rate" query that will indicate the percentage of clients with one or more orders in a specified month (e.g., Feb2008) who also had one or more orders within the previous 12 months (e.g., Feb 2007 - Jan 2008)?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query design (Access 2007)

You'd need to create 3 queries:
    1) A query based on the table that returns the unique clients with an order in the specified month.
    2) A query based on the table that returns the unique clients with an order in the year previous to the specified month.
    3) A query based on the two above queries, with a left join on the client id field that computes the count of records from the second query divided by the count of records from the first one.

In the attached sample database, you need to enter the first day of the specified month, e.g. 2/1/2008 (US format) for February 2008.
    In a "real" database you'd probably want to specify the month on a form.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this, Hans.

1. My "last year" query works fine, but my "month" query lists nothing. I note that my order date field is a "datetime" type, so the expression "[OrderDate]-Day([OrderDate])+1" needs to exclude the time part of the data somehow?

2. I was hoping to use characters like spaces, hyphens, slashes and brackets in the query names, and I tried this with quotation marks; e.g., qry'Client - Yearly Retention Rate 1/3 (LY)', but the query names are referenced in the Retention query and this doesn't work. Is it possible to use these characters in the query names somehow?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. Try Int([OrderDate]-Day([OrderDate])+1)

2. I never use spaces or punctuation in the names of database objects, fields or controls. It makes things much more difficult.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Int([OrderDate]-Day([OrderDate])+1) produces "ODBC - call failed".

I note that "[OrderDate]-Day([OrderDate])+1" produces results like "1/02/2008 11:56:11 PM", but presumably this needs to be just "1/02/2008"?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

ODBC - is the table linked to an external database? If so, check the documentation for the source database.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the table is in a linked SQL database, but there are dozens of similar tables and queries and that error doesn't occur elsewhere. What effect should the Int (Integer?) function have on the datetime field, which contains data like "1/02/2008 11:56:11 PM". Does it need a function to extract the date part?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Server stores date/time values in a different way than Access. Does this work?

DateSerial(Year([OrderDate]),Month([OrderDate]),1)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that date calculation works, thanks.

However, the Retention query just displays parameter prompts for [qryLastYear].[ClientId] and [qryMonth].[ClientId], but I can't see why. I tried replacing the single count/calculation field with two separate count fields and a third calculation field and that seems to work though.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you get parameter prompts, a name is probably misspelled. But apparently you've solved the problem, that's great.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If X% of clients in the specified month have also placed orders within the previous 12 months, then the rest must be either new clients or returning clients who last placed orders more than 12 months ago. How would the queries need to be modified to calculate the percentage of clients who last placed orders more than 12 months ago (i.e., *not* within the last 12 months)?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Create a copy of qryLastYear, and change the criteria

Between DateAdd("yyyy",-1,[Enter 1st of month]) And DateAdd("d",-1,[Enter 1st of month])

to

< DateAdd("yyyy",-1,[Enter 1st of month])

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah yes, thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah no ... that calculates the percentage of clients who placed an order in the specified month and *also* placed orders more than 12 months ago, but some of these may have *also* placed orders within the last 12 months. I meant the percentage only of clients who *last* placed orders more than 12 months ago (but they did not place any orders within the last 12 months).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You need to create a series of additional queries for this - see the attached version. I only created the select queries, not the calculations.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast