5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Verizon FIOS to DSL (2003 SP3)

I am moving my home from Framingham, MA with Verizon FIOS, (fiber) to Brookline, MA, which, unfortunately, only offers Verizon DSL. I want to keep the same email address, chillman96@verizon.net at my new home. Each service has its own email server, with different IP addresses. After much discussion with tech support at both services I have come up with the following scenario:

1. When I first setup my account on DSL I cannot use chillman96 as my username. If I did it would immediately cancel my FIOS account and I would lose any mail not yet downloaded to Oulook. (FIOS account is still active.) FIOS tech says I should set up DSL account with a dummy name, let's say hdhillman34. This will be my new master account and allow me to get on the internet. I can then go to Verizon web page and get a second email address, chillman 96. (This may have to wait until step 3.)

2. I then contact FIOS and tell them to point any mail for chillman96 to the DSL mail server. This will take from 24 to 48 hours.

3. I can then monitor the status of #2 via IE and FIOS web mail. Once I can no longer see my mail on the FIOS server (which means the pointing has taken effect), I can activate chillman96 on the DSL account. The objective is to minimize any lost mail during the transition.

If this scenario is correct I then want to set up Outlook. I will not use the dummy account for email. Do I need to set up the dummy in Outlook? If I do, then do I set up chillman96 as a second account in Outlook, and make it the default? Or is there no need to set up the dummy?
    Any comments on this whole scenario will be very welcome.
    HH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Verizon FIOS to DSL (2003 SP3)

As far as I can tell there is no need to set up the dummy account in Outlook. You should be able to use webmail to check if any mail has been sent to the dummy account, and delete it or forward it to your chillman96 e-mail address.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. One more question. Both FIOS and DSL use the mail server addresses Incoming.verizon.net and Outgoing.verizon.net, as originally set up in Outlook. How does Outlook find the correct server? Will it now use a different DNS server to resolve the address?
    HH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think so, but as far as I know you don't have to worry about that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are correct, I didn't need to worry. After a lot of back and forthing between the FIOS and DSL support, they finally got it working. FYI, when they were all finished they replaced my "dummy" account with a new primary account with the desired ID, chillman96. So there was no need to set up a sub account. Outlook now gets mail without changing any settings.
    Thanks for your help.
    HH