New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Home Server?

My WHS will not connect to the internet or allow other machines to log on.
    I just installed WHS on an older P4 machine. However, it will not connect to the internet. And other machines cannot see it. It is plugged in to a Cat5 cable going to my router. I know the cable has connection, unplugged from a working machine. I just read Woody's WHS book. I must really be a dummy, because It doesn't work. On the WHS console on the server, it says "network healthy". But it isn't connected to anything.

Administrator
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: Windows Home Server?

Do you have a software firewall running? Could be some port being blocked.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by brhowes on 05-Mar-08 16:56. update)</P>Yes, checked those & spent time looking at everything on MS web site re troubleshooting WHS. Not much there. But this is what I have learned. Seems to be a UPnP issue. I have a Linksys wrt54g v 6 w/latest firmware update installed. Linksys says UPnP is possible. Went into my router's settings, confirmed that UPnP is enabled. Yet, in WHS console, settings, says router not configured. No router IP address found. I get an error (yellow ! triangle) at "Verifying that your router supports UPnP" AND "Verifying your router is accepting web site connections" AND "Verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections"
    Since installing WHS, the machine has not connected into internte yet, downloaded updates, gone thru verification process (I have xx # of days).
    The wires are all fine. Unplug them & plug into a networked computer, computer has no problem connecting to internet thru router.
    I am perplexed!!!!
    Update- From my WRT54G router I am able to ping the WHS 127.0.0.1!!! But cannot ping out from WHS.
    PLEASE HELP! Woody's WHS book does not provide this help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have firewall on each computer on network. McAfee. But WHS doesn't connect to the WRT54G router. So, I don't think it is a firewall issue.

Administrator
    Thanks

I meant a firewall on the WHS machine. Is your router also the DHCP server? Does the WHS machine get an IP address? BTW, 127.0.0.1 is a special IP address that means local host (i.e. the machine on which the command is executed).

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, there is no firewall that I know of. The WHS is running on a rebuilt P4 which in a former life only had a software firewall. There is only WHS now on this machine, nothing else. There is a hardwired firewall on my Linksys WRT54G to the outside. But I don't think firewall is directed toward wired connections. I think the connection failure is between WHS & WRT54G. Cable is fine, double checked.

Administrator
    Thanks