4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query not returning all records (Access 2003)

I have a query thats not returning all records where the audio field is a null. Anyone out there can steer me in the right direction? Many thanks

SELECT DISTINCT TXCLIPS.NName AS Name, TXCLIPS.Start AS [Timecode In], TXCLIPS.Duration, TXCLIPS.StarRating, TXCLIPS.Comments, TXMASTERS.Barcode, TXMASTERS.SeriesName, TXMASTERS.EpisodeTitle, TXCLIPS.NName, TXCLIPS.Start, TXMASTERS.Typeofmaterial, TXMASTERS.Subtitles, TXMASTERS.Stageofcompetition, TXMASTERS.EventDate, TXMASTERS.Venue, TXMASTERS.AdditionalInformation, TXMASTERS.Competition, Audio.AudioType AS A, Audio_1.AudioType AS b, Audio_2.AudioType AS C, Audio_3.AudioType AS D
    FROM (Audio AS Audio_3 INNER JOIN (Audio AS Audio_2 INNER JOIN (Audio AS Audio_1 INNER JOIN (Audio INNER JOIN TXMASTERS ON Audio.AudioID = TXMASTERS.Audio1) ON Audio_1.AudioID = TXMASTERS.Audio2) ON Audio_2.AudioID = TXMASTERS.Audio3) ON Audio_3.AudioID = TXMASTERS.Audio4) INNER JOIN TXCLIPS ON TXMASTERS.ID1 = TXCLIPS.ID1
    WHERE (((TXMASTERS.Barcode)=[FORMS]![TapeLogs].[BCODE].[CAPTION]))
    ORDER BY TXCLIPS.Start;

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query not returning all records (Access 2003)

Your query links the tables by inner joins. This means that only records are returned where the join field has the same value on both sides of the join, and this value is not null. To allow the field to be null on one side of the join, you must use an outer join - either a left join or a right join. You can select the join type in design view by double-clicking the join line; three options will be presented that correspond to an inner join, a left join and a right join.

You'll probably have to change all joins to the same type.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanyou very much Hans. I tried option 2 on the links and it said it was not allowed, however option 3 works. so thankyou.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opps, spoke too soon. It's again not showing all records? All three join options relate to something being equal?
    Unfortunately this is all due to the fact that 4 audio fields on each record all store an ID instead of the decription which is wanted in a report. ID = 1 = English, ID =2 = French etc. Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you changed the join type for all of the joins from TXMASTERS to an instance of the Audio table?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Yes I changed all 4 links between TXMASTERS and each of the audio The options of the joins seemed to all refer to equal values, ie on both sides, 1 and the other, 2 and the other. Problem is some of the audio fields no not contain data, ie audio 1 only filled etc. Many thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's not quite clear to me whether the problem was solved by selecting the option to return all records from TXMASTERS and only related records from the Audio tables. If not, could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Note: you posted your reply with the database in the wrong thread, in <post#=699127>post 699127</post#>. Please see my reply there, but continue the discussion here.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Hans, I don't know why my posting/attachment went to the wrong posting. The query is in the listbox, ie the rowsource. Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I can tell, you don't need TXCLIPS in the query, I'd remove it from the query.

(With TXCLIPS you don't get all records because ID1 132 occurs in TXMASTERS but not in TXCLIPS.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, however TXCLIPS does need to be in the query, as fields from this also appear in the list LP and get passed to a report. I stripped that all out to get the db filesize down. However I will look at the ID1 problem. Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Alternatively, double click the join line between TXMASTERS and TXCLIPS and select the option to include all records from TXMASTERS, just like you did for the joins to the instances of the Audio table.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks Hans. In stripping down the db to post it, I accidentally removed related records in the TXCLIPS table. I modified the link between the TXMASTERS and TXCLIPS, and it works. I shows all records from the TXMASTER table and those in TXCLIPS where data is missing. So thanks again for your valuable help, I was getting worried that my tables integrity was falling over. I can sleep now. Very best regards. This site is excellent.