5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Report grouping (Access 2007)

We have a table containing data with the following structure; i.e., the Level A/B/C fields contain subfields delimited by commas (although other delimiters could be used) ("-" = blank).

Employee | Level A | Level B | Level C
    Tom | Sewing, Drilling | - | Cutting
    Dick | Cutting, Painting | Drilling | -
    Harry | Drilling | Cutting, Sewing | Painting

Is it possible to create a report to list these data in the following format or similar; i.e., with grouping by subfield?

Skill | Level A | Level B| Level C
    Cutting | Dick | Harry | Tom
    Drilling | Harry, Tom | Dick | -
    Painting | Dick | - | Harry
    Sewing | Tom | Harry | -

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report grouping (Access 2007)

I strongly recommend that you normalize the structure of your database, i.e. organize the data differently. You have a many-to-many relationship between employees and skills; you'd need to use three tables:

tblEmployees, with fields EmployeeID (AutoNumber, primary key), LastName, FirstName etc.

tblSkills, with fields SkillID (AutoNumber, primary key), SkillName and perhaps other fields.

tblEmployeeSkills, with fields EmployeeID (number, long integer), SkillID (number, long integer) and Level (number, long integer, 1=A, 2=B etc)

The combination of EmployeeID and SkillID would form the primary key of tblEmployeeSkills. This table would contain a separate record for each employee an each skill that he/she has.

Once you have normalized the database, it becomes easy to summarize the data in different ways.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. It is not possible to reorganize the data structure and I wondered whether it was possible to report on it as is.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would be very difficult. I'd print the data as they are in the table.
    I'm sorry, but that's the consequence of using such an unfortunate data setup.