Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

16-32-64 bit (Ultimate)

I have 3 GB of RAM, a 500 GB hard drive, and a 64-bit dual core processor, and I am getting ‘insufficient memory’ messages with Vista. The computer has complained repeatedly that I have too many 16-bit applications running and that I should increase my Files=.

Can anyone tell me how to tell a 16-bit from a 32-bit from a 64-bit application? To the best of my knowledge I have none of the last-named but am capable of running them, and no one ever to my knowledge makes a distinction when talking about them, but if it makes a difference maybe they should.

I am all for backward-compatibility, but if I have the latest and greatest (sez he with a straight face), then I should seek out the software to match.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: 16-32-64 bit (Ultimate)

You can not run a 64-bit application unless you are running a 64-bit version of Vista. 32-bit applications will run under a 64-bit Vista but 16-bit will not. Most applications are still 32-bit only or have 32 & 64 bit versions. I'd guess that if an application has a 64-bit version available now it will be clearly identified as such. See the compatibility section at Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows Vista Feature Focus: 64-Bit (x64) Support.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe. Now I`ll have to start looking through my applications to see what might be too old for the computer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

To answer your question simply, find the .exe file of the program in doubt and right click on it. Then click properties and it should state in that window, somewhere.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

There is nothing in the properties that tells you if an application is 16,32, or 64 bit. If you need to know definitively you have to use a tool to examine the file such as XN Resource Editor.

Joe
    Joe