2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File sort order (Windows XP SP2)

I had hopes that the answer to <post:=663,428>post 663,428</post:> might help, but I'm afraid not!

My Documents is sorted alphabetically with no problems at all. However I must have clicked something without realising it because for some reason, when I click on "Save As” the order is certainly not alphabetical in some programs

Those that have a dropdown box to select the sort order (like Word) seem fine, but others where you have to right click to get "Arrange Icon by" its in an entirely different order and as yet I have not worked out what it is!

I have obvious done something, to the operating system because I've had this machine for two years without and problem and my laptop, which has all the same programs on, it is working fine.

Anyone any ideas please?

Michael Peak
    Morecambe - England

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File sort order (Windows XP SP2)

The situation depends on the application:
    - Some applications, for example Notepad, use the sort order as set in Windows Explorer; some sources suggest that it's best to set the sort order in Windows Explorer in List view.
    - Some applications, such as the Office applications, store the sort order last used in the Open / Save As dialogs independently from Windows.
    - Some applications use a factory-set default, ignoring the Windows setting.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

You are going to think me pathetic I know but is what I think is explorer is the same as you?

I mean the folder layout you get either by typing explorer into the "run" box and is the view you used to get in Windows 98 or simply by clicking on View>Explorer bar>folders and finally list view.

Assuming I have the right Explorer window, everything is sorted by name exactly as I want it, as are all the sub folders.

Now if I go into Notepad and click on open, then it's in this funny order. I've attached a zip with two files showing the sort order as opened and then sorted by name. I really not sure what this order is. It not size, it's not modified, it's not type and it's certainly not Name!

I can click on sort by name and it goes to the right order of course. Until the next time you click on open it's back to the "funny order". I suspect that I might have clicked on some obscure setting in Tools>Folder options> view, but I can't see what.

I feel pretty bad I can't sort out something as basic as this, so any more ideas will be greatly appreciated

Best wishes

Michael
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you switch to Detail view - do you see a little upwards or downwards pointing triangle in any of the column headers? The triangle would indicate that the view is sorted on that column, ascending or descending.