Lounger
    Thanks

Word File Locks Editing (2007)

For some strange reason certain Word 2007 files I create become locked so the next time I open I see a dialog box that only lets me open a read only copy or receive a notice when the file becomes available. Unfortunately the file never becomes available. When I get this message it always seems to reference a particular template that I have created and used to create the document. Please help. I can't figure out a way to fix this. Unprotecting the document or reversing the "final" status does not work either.

The warning I receive is as follows:

"File In Use. *.dotx is locked for editing by another user. Do you want to:

_Open a Read Only Copy
    _Create a local copy and merge your changes later
    _Receive notification when the original copy is available."

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: Word File Locks Editing (2007)

Are you intentionally changing the template, for example, by modifying commandbars, autotext, or macros?

If you only need the template to create the document body and not for macros or autotext, you could add an AutoNew macro to your template that change the attached template to NormalTemplate.

Lounger
    Thanks

How do I do the latter? the AutoNew macro?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

I opened your file in W2007 and didn't get the warning. The warning you sent us is about the template and not about the document you are trying to opening. Is there perhaps an old, stray temp file in the folder where the template resides? These temp files, which may be leftover after Word closes unexpectedly or when the computer is shut down too quickly to allow Word to close, sometimes fool Word into thinking that a file is in use. You can delete these, but first check to be sure that the date is well before the current date.

PamC
    Pam Caswell