5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook / Add (Office XP)

I have Office XP installed with Word and Excel applications only. I have applied SP 1, 2 and 3. I do not use this PC for email, so Outlook has not been necessary. I now need to install Outlook. Will the installation process to install Outlook affect the SP which I have already applied? After adding Outlook, will I (must I) reapply SP 1, 2 and 3?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook / Add (Office XP)

You can install Outlook from the Office XP CD. If updates are installed automatically on your PC, those for Outlook 2002 will probably be installed soon. In any case, you can visit Microsoft Update to check which updates are available.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. The install from the CD won't "downgrade" any of the currently installed applications?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You shouldn't reinstall the entire Office suite. Select the option to add or remove components, click Next, click on Outlook and select Run from this computer, then click Update. This will leave the already installed applications unchanged.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again. Maybe you can offer a bit more help. I want to send the text of a Word document as an Outlook message (not as an attachment). The following code does what I expect it to... creates a new Outlook message with the text of the Word document as the body.

Options.SendMailAttach = False
    ActiveDocument.SendMail

I now want to put my preferred text in the subject line of this new message, not the document name which is the default subject. I've attached the Outlook object to my project, but I (as usual) am having trouble navigating the Outlook object. I tried:

dim olApp as Outlook.Application
    dim msg as Outlook.MailItem
    set msg = olApp.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem

No luck with that. Is it possible to set the subject of this new message from Word?

Thanks,
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try

ActiveDocument.MailEnvelope.Item.Subject = "My subject"
    ActiveWindow.EnvelopeVisible = True

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. very much. I'll give that a try. I also thought that I might as well use code to create a mail object instead of relying on Word to do it for me. That may give me more control.

Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're going to automate Outlook, you need neither SendMail nor MailEnvelope - you'll create the entire mail message in Outlook. But you won't be able to use the contents of the Word document as body of the e-mail...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did have luck with that.

sBody = ActiveDocment.Range.Text

then:
    Set msg = Application.Outlook.NewItem(olMailItem)
    msg.Body = sBody

I have control of the content of the document... it's a protected form which I unprotect, copy, reprotect, paste in a new document, unlink all fields and then store the restults to sBody with .Range.Text. The user can then Clear All Fields (my toolbar) and start again. There's no "fancy" formatting, just normal style that will drop easily into an Outlook message. The user actually saves the mail message in the Draft folder, awaiting attachments and review. I suppose I could have used an Outlook form, but the user's are more comfortable in Word (and so am I).

Regards,
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, if you don't need special formatting, you can set the Body property of the e-mail to the text of the document. It would have been much more complicated if you had wanted to set the body of the e-mail to the formatted contents of the document.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I've had an odd bit of what may be collateral damage after installing Outlook yesterday. I've used the FileSystemObject for some time to read text files. Since yesterday's install, I am getting an error on the FSO line saying "Automation Error - Library Not Registered." I've detached and reattached the sccrun.dll from the project.

I have Microsfot Scripting Runtime attached as a reference to my VBA project. I also have: Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")... and it's that line where the run-time error occurs.

Do I need both the Reference and the late binding? (I haven't had trouble peviously.) Or is this indicative that something else is wrong?

Thanks,
    Richard

Thanks

If late binding fails, the registry entry for the library may be damaged or missing. The generic method for re-registering a DLL is listed in this article: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/RegisterDLL.htm. Any luck?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try this:
    - Select Start | Run... (in Windows)
    - Type the following in the box:
    <code>
    regsvr32 c:windowssystem32scrrun.dll
    </code>
    - Press Enter or click OK.
    - Test your code using FileSystemObject again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much. That did it!

Regards,
    Richard