2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Migrating to 2007 from Office XP (2007)

Hi all,

I work in a large company. A demand for Office 2007 is appearing. We only 'finished' upgrading to Office XP a few months ago (actually some 97 still out there).

I know about the the different UI and file formats (in the most general terms).

But gotchas are there in terms of migration and deployment (we use Marimba). We use Win Xp SP2 and we don't use Outlook for email.

I've searched the lounge and haven't found any posts regarding gotchas in migrating to or deploying Office 2007. I'll search some more.

Also, have alot of companies migrated to Office 2007? We (IT) haven't felt like there were compelling reasosn for going to Office 2007 and in fact looked at the UI and file format changes as disincentives to migrating (without business drivers). Actually, we have a handful of users using Excel 2007 for the larger spreadsheet size.

Any documentation on my question.

Thank you.

Jimmy Lee

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Migrating to 2007 from Office XP (2007)

If you have a good reason to you can set the default file format for each application to the pre-2007 format. I'd not recommend doing that unless there is a good reason. Also, there were older file types that are not used much anymore that are blocked by Office 2007. See You receive an error message when you try to open a file type that was blocked by your registry policy settings in PowerPoint 2007 or in PowerPoint 2003, You receive an error message when you try to open a file type that was blocked by your registry policy settings in Excel 2007 or in Excel 2003, You receive an error message when you try to open a file type that was blocked by your registry policy settings in Word 2007 or in Word 2003 for more information.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for tips and references. Good to know.

Jimmy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hiya Jimmy,
    I must say that although 2007 is a great new version there are some serious steep learning curves and customisation of 2007 needed before you can roll it out, I am currently training staff from Qantas Airlines in excel 2007, These people are not newbies or basic users of excel by any means, but are finding it hard to convert to 2007, are your users using Word mostly ? I seriously suggest that if your users are using word or any other office program for more than just basic use, say for instance inserting Dot Leaders in a tabbed document that you need to roll out a customised version that has those sort of things added to the quick bar.

I am not trying to put a damper on your upgrade far from it , i2007 is great and has lots of goodies but as a professional trainer , i am seeing the frustration of users converting from office 2000, Xp and 2003.

I would humbly suggest you get your top operator of office and let her/him play with it creating the same types of files as the rest of the staff create and ask a totally honest opinion of what training staff will need. And hey I am downunder in aussie land so i am not trying to drum up work for myself.. lol

Rgds
    Syb

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The new Word format *.docx is dandy, but if you search your XP computer for *.dot templates you may find that you have hundreds of them if you had one of ‘those collections’ or downloaded templates from Microsoft, or above all had highly specialized templates of your own.

If your new default is *.docx then the *.dot templates won’t work. These are fine for the Word 97-2003 format, but you should save them on your new system and decide what policy to follow in dealing with templates, possibly by producing a corresponding set of *.dotx templates for those you actually use and want to have available in the new format.

For all the silly once-in-ten-lifetimes templates, I still wouldn’t throw them away because they consume almost no drive space and sometimes contain useful ideas.