Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Network and permissions (Windows XP)

I know this thread is supposed to be closed, but I am struggling with a related problem. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread, as well as from elsewhere, with limited success. I will try to make a complicated situation as clear as I can:

My family of 3 currently has 5 computers networked together in our office using standard cat5 cable using a Linksys wireless router and a Linksys print server which also contains a switch. It is a peer-to-peer network with a single workgroup name. Each of the 3 of us has an active Administrator account on all 5 computers using the same username and password on each of the 5 computers. All of the computers can see each other, including shared folders, on the network using My Netwok Places->View Workgroup Computers. All are running Norton Internet Security 2008 configured the same way. The oldest 4 computers can open shared folders on all 4 computers. The 5th, newest, computer can open shared folders on the other 4. But none of the original 4 can open shared folders on the new 5th computer, even though the folders can be seen. In fact, when the 5th computer accesses itself through My Network Places->View Workgroup Computers, it can't open shared folders on itself! It doesn't matter which username/password is used on the original 4 computers. In all cases of denied access the same message is given:

"Computer5 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Mostly this problem would be an annyoyance, but I am gearing up to install Windows Home Server on one of the older systems and want to make sure that WHS can see all the computers. I have the feeling there is one small confuguration change I need to make to solve this problem, but have not been able to figure it out or find anything on line that has worked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network and permissions (Windows XP)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge.

I have moved your post to it's own thread, as the one where you had posted it was a discussion of a Browsing problem and was already quite long. I have some questions to help us understand your problem a little better.

Please check the permission on both the Share, and the Folders on Computer5, and compare these with the other computers. If you need help finding this information then let us know what Operating Systems you are running on each of the PCs.

Is any of the shared folders within the "My Documents" of a user, or are they all normal windows folders?

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would check the firewall on the 5th machine and make sure that the other four are NOT blocked. There should be a safe IP address list or a Blocked IP address some where in you firewall settings.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for starting the new thread. I wasn't sure whether to do this. Here are my best answers to your questions:

1. The operating system on all the machines is XP SP2 with all patches applied from Microsoft Update. Sorry I didn't include this in the original post.

2. Not sure that I understand the distinction between "the Share" and "the Folders on Computer5". At present I have shared the entire main C drive and the My Documents folders for 2 of the users on Computer5. I turned off Simple File Sharing and set the permissions manually for all 3 users to have full permissions for all the shared drives/folders.

3. As noted above, 2/3 shared drives folders are the My Documents folders of 2 users. In what way are these different from "normal windows folders"?

Thanks for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

As noted in the original post, all the machines are running Norton Internet Security 2008 (NIS). It's firewall is turned on and the Windows XP firewall is turned off. In configuring NIS it automatically detects all systems and should allow them access. I did rerun this configuration wizard on Computer5, but not on the other computers. I was hesitant to try to find and manually specify IP addresses since these are assigned and managed by the Linksys router and could conceivably change when the network resources are changed, e.g., when one of my son's friends brings his notebook and I give him secured access through wireless part of the router. Should I try the manual configuration anyway? Thanks for the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To check the Share permissions you go to the Sharing tab on the folder properties and click the Permissions button. It would also be a good idea to completely disable the firewall for a few minutes whilst you do a test.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have set the share permissions as you describe when I deactivated simple file sharing. Each of the shared drives/files has all three usernames set to allow full control. No change.

I have turned off the NIS firewall "permanently" (which means it should not reactivate on reboot), then rebooted. Didn't make a difference. I have read posts elsewhere suggesting that you have to completely uninstall a firewall to really disable it, but that is a very time consuming and often incomplete process for a Symantec program. Since the other computers all have the same version of NIS running, I can believe it might be a NIS configuration that is the problem, but not just the presense of the firewall.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

When you disable the NIS firewall the Windows firewall will kick in. You should go to the security center and disable it also.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I knew this, but I'm not sure I did it. This will be an intensive work week/weekend, so am not sure I will be able to try this until next Monday. I'll let everyone know the result, but am still open to other suggestions in the meantime.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try following these instructions for enabling failure audits. Then create the error again, and look in the security event log to see if it gives you any helpful information about the exact failure that is happening.

Turn off the auditing again when you have finished.

(I have just checked the instructions and they are only for Windows XP Professional, you didn't mention whether you were running home or professional so this may be applicable.)

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I have set the share permissions as you describe when I deactivated simple file sharing. Each of the shared drives/files has all three usernames set to allow full control. No change.<hr>

This sounds like you set the FILE permissions. Did you go here to set the share permissions?

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

I believe this is where I set the permissions, but will check at my next opportunity. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am using XP Pro. Sorry I didn't make that clear originally. I have printed the instructions and will try this at my next available opportunity. I just realized though, do I start the log on Computer5 or one of the other network computers trying to access Computer5 or both? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> do I start the log on Computer5 or one of the other network computers trying to access Computer5 or both

Both is good, but the computer where the files are is most important.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, your suggestion about auditing led to a solution, but not in a way I would have expected. I had not used auditing before, so threw too wide a net at first and audited all successes and failures to access all folders & files on drive C:. Took a l.o.o.o.o.o.n.n.n.n.n.g time. Respecified it for only the C: drive itself and only failures. Despite trying and failing to get access by other computers as well as by Computer5 itself via My Network->View Workgroup Computers, nothing showed up in the Security log. Out of curiosity I checked the System log and found an error entry:

The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

The details of this error message outlined that the default is 15, but it can be set higher with Regedit. To get more specifics on how to change the setting, I did a search on the Microsoft Knowledge Base and found Article 285089. The memory cost is minimal, 36 bytes/buffer, so I followed the instructions and set it to the maximum of 50. After rebooting the access problem disappeared and there are no error messages in the system log. I can now access the shared drive and folders on Computer5 from the other computers on the network as well as Computer 5 itself via My Network->View Workgroup Computers. Go figure.

I am happy that this procedure worked, though mystified about how it worked. Just for my education, if you have any idea about the "how" I would be interested to know. In any case, thanks for the lead that resulted in a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast