Star Lounger
    Thanks

CPU usage (2007)

According to Task Manager, Access 2007 uses ~50% of my CPU power even when the program is simply idling, without a database open. When I open a database the usage jumps a bit at first and then goes back to ~50%. I close the database, but leave Access running, and it stays at ~50%.

I figured it must be running something in the background, but when I minimize the program, the usage drops to 0%. Why would it use so much power just by being up on my screen -- and is there a way to change that? My CPU is a 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: CPU usage (2007)

That doesn't seem normal - at least the databases that I work with don't leave the CPU usage at 50% - but if Access is running a set of code or queries or doing much of anything, even waiting for attached SQL Server tables to respond, the CPU usage will peg one of your processors. Access is not multi-threaded, so it will only affect one of your two processors if you look at the Performance tab in Task Manager. So it sounds like you have some code still running in Access even though you appear to have closed your database.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't think this was normal -- or at least hoped it wasn't. But I don't know what to do next to diagnose and solve the problem. Any suggestions, anyone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I encountered the same issue with someone the other day, Their database is running very slowly since upgrading to 2007, and I noticed that the CPU was sitting at 50% all the time that the db is open and visible. Some screen updating would not finish, but shifting the focus away from Access then back again was enough to see the updates.

I created a test db with nothing in it other than one record in one table, and the CPU still sat at 50%.

I suggested that they try putting some more RAM in the computer.
    Regards
    John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, I did the same, using a dataless database and with the same result. I wonder about the RAM though. I've got 4G and there's still a problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you have 4G already then more RAM is not going to fix it. In my case the machine had about 800MB.

Have you got SP1 for Office 2007?
    Regards
    John